tocqueville

Suspended
I've been following some of the higher volume ebay sellers and asking myself, where on earth does this stuff come from? The Kiton ties, Brioni suits, Oxxford blazers, RLPL loafers, etc. etc. Might any of it be stolen?

StephenRG

Honors Member
Some of it might be stolen but I can think of two legit avenues. First, someone might well cultivate a senior SA or manager at a local outlet store - Syms, NR, etc. - and be alerted when there is new stuff of the right brands coming in, or when there are flash sales. Suppose he gets the nod that his local Syms has a one-day 50% sale was on - he could end up buying a lot of fairly decent stuff at 10% or 20% of a genuine retail price. The other is when the SAs themselves can buy goods on sale with a staff discount and resell it - I've heard that the scarcity of RLPL shoes at outlets began when the SAs at RL stores were buying them for resell, knowing that Edward Green-made RL sold reliably well.

MikeDT

I've been following some of the higher volume ebay sellers and asking myself, where on earth does this stuff come from? The Kiton ties, Brioni suits, Oxxford blazers, RLPL loafers, etc. etc. Might any of it be stolen?
...or knock-off? Probably coming from a large country in Asia.

Something I frequently see on the 'bay is large quantities of 'New with tags.' famous designer lux stuff, like RL, LV, Prada, Gucci, Hermes, Burberry, Armani.

TBH I don't think Ebay is too bothered by the large volumes of counterfeit or stolen goods that gets sold on its website. They still get their commission from the vendors.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Never has the old adage, "Let the buyer beware" been so true, as when used in referrence to the Internet in general and ebay, specifically! It rather causes one to wonder, 'Should something seem too good to be true, is it(!)? In almost every case it is! :teacha:

CAG

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If it's a manufacturer that advertises in GQ or Vogue, it's likely to be fake from a volume seller. Not a lot of market in knocking off Alden or Drakes.

dks202

ebay experience

Several years ago an ebay seller listed lots of NIB Talbott ties for a $15 buy it now price. Also a few Seven Folds at about $30 . I grabbed as many as I could afford. A few weeks later I received an email from a guy who said he was from Robert Talbott and he was investigating this seller because of the cheap ties. Back then you could send emails from eBay. I told him if he was for real he could call me at my office and I gave him the number.

He called and told me a shipment to Nordstrom was missing and some of the ties appeared to be on eBay. I told him what I knew and after several conversations over a month or so, he finally told me he discovered the seller's husband was the truck driver who picked up a shipment from Talbott to Nordstrom and the stolen ties were from that shipment. He wasn't going to prosecute but I'm sure they got another driver.

After I gulped, I asked about the ties I had purchased, over $200 worth. "Should I return them to you?" I asked. He replied "No, you got a bunch of ties at a real good price."

Titus_A

Another alternative is salvage. Say a truck carrying RLPL goods jack-knifes in the middle of a cornfield and turns over: the company probably liquidates the truck's contents to a salvage company and writes the balance off as a casualty loss. The salvager, in turn, tosses what's ruined and sells the balance on ebay.

I don't know if that actually happens, but it could.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
Several years ago an ebay seller listed lots of NIB Talbott ties for a $15 buy it now price. Also a few Seven Folds at about $30 . I grabbed as many as I could afford. A few weeks later I received an email from a guy who said he was from Robert Talbott and he was investigating this seller because of the cheap ties. Back then you could send emails from eBay. I told him if he was for real he could call me at my office and I gave him the number.

He called and told me a shipment to Nordstrom was missing and some of the ties appeared to be on eBay. I told him what I knew and after several conversations over a month or so, he finally told me he discovered the seller's husband was the truck driver who picked up a shipment from Talbott to Nordstrom and the stolen ties were from that shipment. He wasn't going to prosecute but I'm sure they got another driver.

After I gulped, I asked about the ties I had purchased, over $200 worth. "Should I return them to you?" I asked. He replied "No, you got a bunch of ties at a real good price."
Care to unload some of those ties? You can't possibly be wearing them all :D

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
Another alternative is salvage. Say a truck carrying RLPL goods jack-knifes in the middle of a cornfield and turns over: the company probably liquidates the truck's contents to a salvage company and writes the balance off as a casualty loss. The salvager, in turn, tosses what's ruined and sells the balance on ebay.

This would make me want to swerve in front of the truck delivery Oxxford goods......

I have to assume either a) stolen b) thrift stores c) places like Century 21 which they buy for a good solid amount of money but then mark up to something closer to but still lower than retail

cdavant

Elite Member
There are knock-offs and rip-offs. Peru factory has an order for 10,000 polos which they produce under the watchful eye of the buyer. Everybody goes home. Soon as the coast is clear the workers return and do another 5,000 shirts using the same fabric, thread, etc. These are not inferior, just unauthorized and make it here through various back chanels. Another factory is probably making the same pattern using cheaper materials and less skilled labor--but it's hard to tell the difference in a picture. That's why eBay feedback is important to check. Other sellers haunt the outlets and buy all the designer labels they can find, list them, and return the ones that don't sell. No loss to them.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
Other sellers haunt the outlets and buy all the designer labels they can find, list them, and return the ones that don't sell. No loss to them.
I know a woman that does this regularly, and spiffs the store manager as they call her when new stuff arrives or they get the ok for deep discounts. Surprised that corporate never catches on, but then again, they're selling more stuff, so why would they care?

Taken Aback

Elite Member

Of course it does, but you shouldn't assume that eBay is the place it all goes. A great deal of salvage clothing goes to second-tier off-price retailers (non-chain stores akin to Marshalls) that often go unnoticed down some side street. You should also know that "what's ruined" often makes it to their sales floor too. The buyer needs to beware in these shops since damages are often sold with an intent to deceive versus the indifference at the thrift shop.

StevenRocks

I used to help run an eBay store, and the main place we got merchandise from was clearance sales at retailers. Back before inventory control syetms became more sophisticated, you could luck up on some really good deals.

prospero1b

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
None of the suggestions here explains how a number of obviously legitimate sellers have a seemingly unending supply of fine English shoes - not all of them seconds.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange