Which AE Longwings do you prefer?

unrooted

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I need another pair of shoes, and I like the bulky longwing style to match my highly textured flannel and tweed suits and grenadine ties.

AE has 4 styles of the longwing;

The True Gunboat: Macneil

The Fancy-footed:

And in between the and the

I want them in Brown, but I can't decide if I like the Grained Calf or the Smooth. I'm thinking the smooth will provide a better patina, but the grain gives a bit of texture to match my suits. i like how the Regent street has both types of leather and I like the medium brown color it comes in. I really like the shape of the Williams and the better looking sole though. Anyone want to suggest a similar longwing from an equally priced competitor? Maybe I should order all 4 and send back the three I like the least???

hohne1

My choices would be MacNeil #1, Larchmont #2, Williams #3, Regent #4.

If you want the MacNeil in brown smooth calf, Lands End has them. I really like the Walnut pebble MacNeil.

Good luck in your quest.

Chris

mrkleen

Williams is easily the nicest of those 4 - the leather is richer and smoother - nicer soles and small, finer details.

I also own two pair of MacNeils - and they are great great shoes as well. But the Williams is the finest AE shoe I have ever seen.

arkirshner

Honors Member
Opinions vary, which is why AE has them all in production. If one does not have a strong preference, why not buy what ever is, (or goes) on sale?

unrooted

I ended up getting the least favorite of the four, at least your least favorite; the Regent Street. I like the medium bulkiness, the pebbled/smooth leather combination and that I was able to get it through Amazon with a 20% coupon and a $50 giftcard (thanks to my credit card rewards program) for a total of $238 with tax (YEAH CALIFORNIA!!!). I wear a size 13-14 so I think it will still appear rather gun-boatish, but I'm also pretty sure that I can't go wrong with AE's.

Thomas Martin

My favourite AE brogue style is the Cambridge in burgundy shell cordovan. I assume this one is not considered "long wing", though....

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange