Which is more casual--AE McAllister or Macneil?

rhz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hello.

I'd like to purchase a pair of shoes to use with chinos and dark wash jeans. I was debating between two shoes from Allen Edmonds:

MacAllister--short wing, oxford, more broguing, Dainite sole
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...p-oxford-with-dainite-rubber-sole/SF6213.html

Macneil--long wing, bulcher, somewhat less broguing, leather sole.
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...macneil-dress-wingtip-blucher-shoe/SF232.html

My guess is that both would be appropriate, but that the Macneil's would be considered less formal (and, hence, better suited). Any opinions?

Thank you.

SG_67

Connoisseur
Neither I would say are sleek, but the MacNeil is the lesser of the two.

I think given the right color, both can be worn with darker denim.

rhz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Neither I would say are sleek, but the MacNeil is the lesser of the two.

I think given the right color, both can be worn with darker denim.

Thanks. I assume by "sleek" you mean "formal" (i.e., the Macneil is less formal). In terms of color, I was thinking about dark chili.

SG_67

Connoisseur
Thanks. I assume by "sleek" you mean "formal" (i.e., the Macneil is less formal). In terms of color, I was thinking about dark chili.

No, less sleek as in it looks like a Mack truck.
Don't get me wrong, I like LWB's, but there is nothing formal about them.

hedrick

Starting Member
I have, and wear, both. The Brooks version (poron in the insole, v-tread sole).

MacNeill is the less formal. The Blucher form factor, double sole, storm welt, and long wing tip are all slightly less formal. Maybe not enough to matter on how you'd use them though.

But remember that they use different lasts. Between that, the difference between bal and Blucher, and the different soles, they're going to feel different. That might be more significant than the style.

orange fury

Connoisseur
Like everyone else has said, MacNeil is less formal. I have one pair of MacNeils, 2 pairs of McAllisters, and some Alden LWB’s, and the McAllister dresses up more easily. My LWB’s primarily get worn with a jacket and wool pants, and the McAllisters I’ve worn with suits. That said, I’ve seen LWB’s work with suits- there’s some great pics from the 50’s-60’s of gray flannel suits with black LWB’s

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange