Which is the most rugged/durable boat shoe?

godan

Elite Member
No. Mine are all older then that. My back have always been Seabago. Are folks still likeing them?

In addition to the heavy Timberland camp mocs that several of us praise above, I should also mention my long-lived Sebago Docksides. Mine have Filson labels on the tongues and were purchased several years ago, when Filson products could be trusted. I do not have any recently-made Sebago shoes to compare.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Just three thoughts pertaining to my experience(s) with boat shoes:

1. For many years I wore Sperry's and was quite satisfied with them, but they never were very durable. I cannot recall ever getting more than a couple of seasons of wear from a pair. Though I do have a pair I have kept as painting shoes for the past 10 years, or so.

2. Quoddy Trail's are more bio-mechanically supportive than virtually any boat shoes I have worn and the fact that I have been able to have a pair resoled twice makes them more or at least as durable as any other boat shoes I have worn (including the Timberland three eyelet, lug soled boat shoes I wore for seven+ years).

3. In the past year I have become familiar with SAS Boat shoes and am here to tell you they are as supportive and comfortable as my Quoddy Trail's and are made of materials that, at this point, appear to be superior to that used in Sperry's.

:thumbs-up:

Walter Denton

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have been very happy with Sebago Crest Docksides. They have much better construction and a better sole than other moderately priced boat shoes I have worn. Mine are Horween leather although they don't specify which one. Rancourt makes my favorite boat shoe but for under $100 on Amazon the Sebago Crests are a great deal.

godan

Elite Member
I have been very happy with Sebago Crest Docksides. They have much better construction and a better sole than other moderately priced boat shoes I have worn. Mine are Horween leather although they don't specify which one. Rancourt makes my favorite boat shoe but for under $100 on Amazon the Sebago Crests are a great deal.

The Amazon price likely reflects real value. As an experienced Filson customer, I knew the two little Filson labels sewn onto the tongues of mine were expensive, but, if memory serves, $50 each seems a bit too much.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I repeat from the beginning of this thread: the LL Bean boat shoe is durable, has the white sole, and is inexpensive. I just brought out the pair I got three years ago. Here they are in action, with wooly accessories. In these shoes I fear nothing, not even incontinent newborn lambs.

CSG

Inactive user
Amazing how many people seem to be able to make Sperry AO's explode on their feet. I bought at least one pair this past year and they are just fine. Made properly and haven't exploded yet.

August West

Amazing how many people seem to be able to make Sperry AO's explode on their feet. I bought at least one pair this past year and they are just fine. Made properly and haven't exploded yet.

I think it really boils down to how often, and how hard you wear them. I was lucky to get a year out of them back in college; but they were worn practically every day in rain, snow, cutting through the woods to the pub etc.

Sperrys last a lot longer now that my lifestyle is far more predictable, and I have many more pairs of shoes.

tda003

My original reason for choosing the Billfish was comfort. They provided some arch support and had thicker soles which made for more comfortable walks. The classic white thin soles were little different than walking barefoot on concrete and, with the passing of youth, "my feets hurt" when wearing them. Neither type marked up the deck of my boat. The marks left by athletic shoes my friends wore took a lot of scrubbing to remove.

I'll be looking for an acceptable replacement in a few years. I'll ask the Scooter Store for help coordinating shoes to scooter at that time.

CSG

Inactive user
Shoes aren't meant to be worn day in and day out. Splurge and buy thee pairs of AO's for the price a one pair of Quoddy's. Or don't. My experience with Sperry's going back to the early 80's is nothing's changed but the price and location of manufacture. I fully expect my newer ones to last a good ten years or more.

Last edited:

swils8610

Does anyone have the Quoddy boat moc 2 with the sewn-on vibram sole? They look nice, but I wonder if they'll hold up over time...

I have a pair. They are fantastic. My favorite of all my Quoddy's. They have held up very well and are 3 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chrisone

Starting Member
I have pair of boat shoes from Oak street bootmakers in They are several steps up from the Sebago docksides of my youth. Most rugged? I can't answer that. But they're excellent quality, entering their third (or is it fourth?) year of use as we speak. The leather has aged well and is great looking.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Boat shoe design, + rugged construction, + comfort on the foot, + a long and useful service life, and all at a budget price, = Timberland Three Eyelet, lug soled boat shoes! I just cannot imagine there is a better deal out there. ;)

fishertw

Elite Member
Boat shoe design, + rugged construction, + comfort on the foot, + a long and useful service life, and all at a budget price, = Timberland Three Eyelet, lug soled boat shoes! I just cannot imagine there is a better deal out there. ;)

I fully agree "eagle"! For fall and winter wear that's my "go to" shoe. I need a shoe that will accommodate an orthotic and this shoe fits the bill and provides great traction in sloppy/slippery conditions. Ive also recently purchased a pair of the newly released bison hide boat shoes from Orvis. They are quickly becoming my Spring/Summer casual shoe of choice. Orthotics fit nicely and they are not quite as stiff as the other Orvis Gokey offerings.
Tom

swils8610

7c65172400bd32b8747146136c1554a3.jpg
0de2f38a6a0a3587668f73d24f103b49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange