Which is the most rugged/durable boat shoe?

swils8610

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
1192a83c871d96f6f87e919ed53bec6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

David J. Cooper

My original reason for choosing the Billfish was comfort. They provided some arch support and had thicker soles which made for more comfortable walks. The classic white thin soles were little different than walking barefoot on concrete and, with the passing of youth, "my feets hurt" when wearing them. Neither type marked up the deck of my boat. The marks left by athletic shoes my friends wore took a lot of scrubbing to remove.

I'll be looking for an acceptable replacement in a few years. I'll ask the Scooter Store for help coordinating shoes to scooter at that time.

I bought a pair of Billfish as well for just this reason. I wore them a bit last year, but when I put them on a few weeks ago I noticed the sole was coming unglued from the upper.

While passing the Mephisto store on my way to buy wine I saw a pair of shoes that looked almost the same as the Billfishs. They were Dunhams. A New Balance company. I told the sales person about my problem with the Sperry's and he removed the insole and showed me they were sewn together.

I bought them and love them. They seem to have much more support and cushioning then any deck shoe I have owned. I took them on vacation to Hollywood and logged a few 12,000 step days on hot side walks. I'm 95 points on these.

Dmontez

Elite Member
I pretty much live in boat shoes. To my eye the above mentioned billfish and timberlands are not aesthetically pleasing at all. You may as well just wear nike running/walking shoes.

Sperry is a non-starter the quality has diminished to the point that you'd be lucky to get a summers worth of wear out of them.

I have a pair of quoddy boat Mocs that have seen plenty of wear over the last 3 years and you can't really tell. They don't have much for cushion or support, but are still quite comfortable.

This past winter I found some Polo Ralph Lauren Telfords made by Rancourt&co. They are tan with a white vamp basically spectator boat shoes, I get lots of compliments from random women while wearing them. They are comfortable, and seem to be holding up very well. I expect to get a couple of years out of them. Enough good cannot be said about these. I plan on using rancourts custom made option to get a pair in a more useful color, maybe even go the shell cordovan route.

CSG

Inactive user
"Sperry is a non-starter the quality has diminished to the point that you'd be lucky to get a summers worth of wear out of them."

What a load...

Dmontez

Elite Member
"Sperry is a non-starter the quality has diminished to the point that you'd be lucky to get a summers worth of wear out of them."

What a load...

well, sorry for bursting your sperry fanboy bubble, but the fact is that the shoes they are producing today, are not the shoes that they produced even ten years ago.

Last edited:

Kyle76

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
59213E45-1C07-44D2-BFC0-6A8B8B41325A.jpg

This has been the problem with my last two pairs of Sperry Billfish in less than a year. I used to wear them until the soles were no longer any good. The company has replaced them, but something has changed quality-wise.

Last edited:

Himself

Shoes aren't meant to be worn day in and day out. Splurge and buy thee pairs of AO's for the price a one pair of Quoddy's. Or don't. My experience with Sperry's going back to the early 80's is nothing's changed but the price and location of manufacture. I fully expect my newer ones to last a good ten years or more.

I agree with this, though I'm guilty of overwearing a single pair! Give yourself some color options too.

Ideally, all leather shoes should be allowed to rest and dry out for a day or more, after wearing all day.

Corcovado

FYI for those who have not forsaken Sperry, The Shoe Mart has them on sale for 15% per the email I got this week. Use code MOM15. I don't own any boat shoes myself. *tiptoes out*

rwaldron

I was a Sperry Guy for years, but a couple of years ago, I needed a new pair of boat shoes in the late summer/early fall time period, and I didn't like Sperry's offerings. I sucked it up and spent the $250 on a pair of Rancourt boat shoes, that while nice, were not as durable as my Sperrys had been. I wore through the soles in less than a year and found myself needing another late summer/early fall pair.

I saw a pair of Sebagos that caught my eye and bought them. I have not looked back. They have been the most comfortable, most durable boat shoes that I've ever owned. I am a true Sebago convert!

straw sandals

I wore through the sole on a pair of Quoddy Boat Moc IIs in about a month. They told me that the version of the sole that I have is outdated and that the repair would be covered under warranty. I'll be sending them out this week, and hope that the new sole won't be as unreliable. They're beautifully made shoes, but the strange Vibram sole seems to be problematic!

cortman

I agree that Sebago are the most rugged of any I've used. I've had a pair I've used for yard work and rough dirty stuff, and still look fine after three years of it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange