LewisDias

I need new sneakers for the summer, it is to wear casually with shorts, and a polo or a shirt.
I have seen a return of Tretorn sneakers, would these be a good choice for what I want?
Compared to stan smith I find them a little more basic/simple.
Would they work for what I want or just for sport / court?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
My summer white sneaker for the past several years has been Seavees "Legend Sneaker Standard" model:
mens_legend_standard_bleach_qtr_grande.jpg

That said, it might not be what you want as, in style, it is one sneaker generation behind the Tretorn.

David J. Cooper

It is ok that Trenton tennis shoes are back, it was the Stan Smiths that basically put them out of business. They were the tennis shoes that the 40+ women played in back in the early 70s. I think the only places that carried them was club pro shops. Men wore Diadoras and swung Donnay racquets.

God forbid the Tretorn tennis balls having a second life. They weighed a couple of pounds each and were wrapped in shag carpet.

TallLefty21

Nice looking shoe but too much color for me. I like the Converse Jack Purcell. It's just a matter of personal preference.

https://images.app.goo.gl/oCeySvE36rz4qeER7
While I like the Jack Purcells I've found that the rubber toebox yellows very quickly, giving an ugly contrast to the white canvas upper.

I've settled on Vans Core Classics. They're incredibly comfortable for $50 and I got over my issue of the small red skateboard logo on the heel.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
While I like the Jack Purcells I've found that the rubber toebox yellows very quickly, giving an ugly contrast to the white canvas upper.
Really?
I have quite a few Jacks and Chucks (same maker, same rubber) and this has never happened. Is this from sun exposure or something else? If surface grime, toothpaste works for mine. If sun yellowing, a poultice of bleach left in place for an hour or so might work.

poppies

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Old Navy carries very simple and cheap canvas sneakers that could last you a summer or two. I find that amount of time wrecks many canvas sneakers anyway, so going for higher quality may be not worthwhile.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Old Navy carries very simple and cheap canvas sneakers that could last you a summer or two. I find that amount of time wrecks many canvas sneakers anyway, so going for higher quality may be not worthwhile.
As an owner of several Old Navy sneakers, I concur - great value. While some have died after a few seasons (never one season, but I also have several sneakers, so none get worn that hard), I have a few Old Navy pairs going strong now after almost a decade.

LewisDias

It is ok that Trenton tennis shoes are back, it was the Stan Smiths that basically put them out of business. They were the tennis shoes that the 40+ women played in back in the early 70s. I think the only places that carried them was club pro shops. Men wore Diadoras and swung Donnay racquets.

God forbid the Tretorn tennis balls having a second life. They weighed a couple of pounds each and were wrapped in shag carpet.
Yes I have noticed that they are very popular by women +40 today.
but for me a 30 year old man would be a good option for the summer, what do you think?

Mike B

I'm a fan of Seavees canvas sneakers...here are my Seavees 06/67 Monterey Standards.

Typically what I've done is to order whatever white canvas sneakers that I like that are on Zappos. I try them all on, keep my favorite pair and send the rest back. What I like about Seavees is that the soles give good support (I've got bad feet), are comfortable and last me a few years.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.