drpeter

They claim that the wool is from the Shetlands in their catalogues, so my guess would be the Scottish manufacturer Jamieson's. I can't be sure of this, however.

You could call them up and ask them. I have bought various items from Ben Silver's, and I have found their staff to be extremely helpful and courteous.

August West

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
While I very much enjoy perusing their catelogs, I've never purchased anything from Ben Silver. Their prices always seem to be quite high compared to other options like O'Connells.

I just looked on their website to see that Ben Silver shetlands are offered at $195, which is the same as O'Connells. Perhaps I'll have to give them more consideration in the future.

Can anyone recommend any other Ben Silver offererings that are similarly competitively priced?
As much as I love the idea of a 2 button sack sport coat/suit, Silver's pricing on those always seems off the charts.

fishertw

Advanced Member
While I very much enjoy perusing their catelogs, I've never purchased anything from Ben Silver. Their prices always seem to be quite high compared to other options like O'Connells.

I just looked on their website to see that Ben Silver shetlands are offered at $195, which is the same as O'Connells. Perhaps I'll have to give them more consideration in the future.

Can anyone recommend any other Ben Silver offererings that are similarly competitively priced?
As much as I love the idea of a 2 button sack sport coat/suit, Silver's pricing on those always seems off the charts.
I've bought a number of things over the years( sport coats, shirts, ties, socks, trousers) and always from their semi annual sales. The prices are pretty good and all merchandise I have ever purchased has been top quality. And if you happen to fall into a size category that includes their factory sample sport coats, you can get some really good deals.

mrm21711

I’m pretty sure OC’s Shetlands (which are terrific) have gone up about $30 in the last few years. I recall them being $165 a few years ago.

August West

I’m pretty sure OC’s Shetlands (which are terrific) have gone up about $30 in the last few years. I recall them being $165 a few years ago.
Thanks. My last Shetland purchase from O'Connell's was in 2018. I searched and found the receipt which confirms your recollcation the $165 pricing.

drpeter

I recently picked up a greyish-blue Bowen and Wright sweater from a thrift shop. The label says the wool is 100% Shetland, and it looks and feels genuine. The garment itself is made in India, and I bought it because I was struck by how similar it looked (and felt) to the Scottish-made or English-made shetland sweaters I possess. Very nice workmanship as well, looking at the neck and cuffs, seams and the general design. I paid ten dollars for this sweater, it seemed like a reasonable investment to try out this garment. I've been wearing it and it looks and feels great.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals