delicious_scent

I’ve adopted flat front Bermuda shorts as my “uniform” pants for about nine months of the year. For cooler weather I’ve embraced the various zip neck things of various materials from cotton to pop bottles. Bright Nikes in electric colors are often my footwear of choice. I’m interested in trying some of the new fabrics like drirelease shirts. I still dress up occasionally as if it were 1965.
I had to google your location and weather, and yeah I would likely dress the exact same way in that level of heat.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ I caught a few minutes of the 1956 movie "A Kiss Before Dying" the other day (clothes looked really interesting so I hit record and will watch it when time permits), but Robert Wagner (yes, that guy, but very, very young) was wearing a similar shirt (his was a full button front though). This is the best pic of it I could find:

MV5BYzM3YTFhODctM2FkOS00YTA3LTk3ZDAtMDlkNzlmNTVmYWJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTg5NzIwMDU@._V1_.jpg

And she is Paul Newman's future wife - Joanne Woodward

TKI67

⇧ I caught a few minutes of the 1956 movie "A Kiss Before Dying" the other day (clothes looked really interesting so I hit record and will watch it when time permits), but Robert Wagner (yes, that guy, but very, very young) was wearing a similar shirt (his was a full button front though). This is the best pic of it I could find:

View attachment 32873

That type of collar was very popular in the mid-1950s. I have pictures of me, at about five, wearing one. It was pink, paired with charcoal shorts and saddle shoes. Yikes!

delicious_scent

View attachment 32873

I love it. I love any elegant collar roll and this nails it for me.

Himself

Bills Khakis' polos are on clearance sale now, for 70-plus-20 percent off. That's $30-something.

They're comparable to Polo/LaCoste/Brooks, but heavier for a less clingy drape.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Alas, designs and sizes are disappointingly limited and when they compute the price, it comes out closer to $70. However, if you can find the design you prefer (M1, M2, M3, M4), in a size that fits, that is still a very good price. :(

TKI67

May not work for you with your stated disdain for logos, but around these parts Perlis reigns supreme with little crawfish dancing on the shirts of men in New Orleans.
They look nice, very similar to the O’Connell’s shirts with Buffaloes. Do you have any experience with the fit and tail length?

TKI67

I just got a couple of O’Connell’s pique polos. The price was reasonable, and they appear to be pretty much perfect. They are very soft, a nice length, and nicely finished. I’d say they go to 11. I got the ones with no logo.

Last edited:

GregorSamsa

Is anyone able to compare Brooks Brothers' Original Fit with current Lacoste L1212? I pretty much only have the BB ones and a large fits great. I've read that Lacoste tends to shrink much more and, while the L1212 is the "classic cut," it still runs smaller than BB. Due to both of those things, I am wondering if I am in need of an XXL in Lacoste? Or would anyone suggest otherwise? I like having extra room and full cut polos, but I don't want to end up swimming in it.

Eligius

In my experience, the Lacoste 1212 does not shrink as long as you avoid the dryer. If it goes through a typical hot dryer setting, it will shrink a lot, and for me be unwearable. But barring that, the fit is great, and it’s my favorite all around.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Is anyone able to compare Brooks Brothers' Original Fit with current Lacoste L1212? I pretty much only have the BB ones and a large fits great. I've read that Lacoste tends to shrink much more and, while the L1212 is the "classic cut," it still runs smaller than BB. Due to both of those things, I am wondering if I am in need of an XXL in Lacoste? Or would anyone suggest otherwise? I like having extra room and full cut polos, but I don't want to end up swimming in it.
I wear a size L in Bean, BB classic fit, and Ralphie traditional fit but a I wear a size 6 (XL) in Lacoste classic 1212. Same overall fit. So yeah, the Lacoste classic 1212 fits one size small in my experience.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals