Who's in The Drivers Seat? You or God?

burnedandfrozen

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Being Valentines Day and all, I wasn't surprised that a female friend of mine asked me if I had called it quits on my unrequitted love. I told her more or less I have, it's just something that doesn't cross mind much anymore these days. Then she says "Well I'm sure God will bring you a nice girl". Hmmmm what do I make of this statement? It reminded me of a young lady I dated several years ago. On our first (and only date) while on the ride back from dinner she tells that she had hoped to be married and having children by this time. She told me that she wasn't worried though since God will find her a husband. Now I'm certainly not knocking any religion or people who are religious by nature. I was baptized but rarely went to church after that. Yet these statements make me wonder just how far some people take their faith. I mean how can one surrender their control over their lives and expect whatever God they worship to just make everything fall into place? If it's true that God has a plan then there is such a thing as destiny right? So does that mean people should just wait around until God starts shifting our gears and steering us towards this destiny? Or did I just not understand where these two young ladies were coming from? Maybe this is a easy way to avoid the risks of making ones own decisions? I mean if God is going to find Heather a husband then how will she know when she meets him? There will be no need to play the field, no going to parties or bars or such to try to meet men. I met Heather at a previous job btw. Heather will just sit at home and God will drop a husband on her doorstep. Unless I'm missing something, I just can't see this happening.
 

KenR

Elite Member
My wife was brought up to believe in the "God will provide" mantra. It's easier for some to sit back and hope for the best than to get out there and enroll in the school of hard knocks.

Some people are not independent thinkers and are always waiting for instructions. The very religious are sometimes like that. Pray for it instead of deal with it.

Sort of a rather bland way to live. Not for me. And it's not for my wife anymore.
 

J. Homely

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Everyone uses the concept of 'God' differently, and in his/her own way. An assumption that "things are as they should be" doesn't preclude taking responsibility for taking action in your own life. Accepting that "the world works as it 'should'" doesn't in any way imply passivity.

Far more puzzling to me is the idea that the world doesn't work as it 'should', which is rampant among so-called rational atheists, evident in questions such as "why did my innocent 3-year old die?". He died because he had a disease. If you have a disease, and it's not detected and/or you don't know how to treat it, it tends to progress to a point where life terminates. Science. It's just how the world is. It's sad, from a human standpoint, but how else 'should' it be? It is what it is. The sky is blue (or gives an appearance of what we call 'blue'), water is wet (or has a property we describe as 'wetness'), and human life ends -- sometimes a nanosecond after it begins, and sometimes 150 years.

You do what you can of course, and you strive to figure out how to do as much productive work as you can towards your desired goals without sacrificing other things that are also important to you, but ultimately it's all about your own happiness.

Some people devote extraordinary amounts of time and emotional energy in an unhealthy struggle to find that perfect woman/man or amass that extra million, or what have you, while sacrificing other things that are valuable to them. If "let God handle it" gives them a healthier perspective and empowers them to pursue their goals in a healthier, more productive way -- or in a way that seems healthier or more productive to them - more power to them.

Bottom line, if it makes them happy, what is served by lording my arrogant sense of intellectual superiority over their "naive religiosity"?
 

AddisonBelmont

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I am a Christian, and a conservative Christian at that--not in the political sense, mind you--but I don't believe God cares who we marry or if we marry. He wants us to be happy and has given us guidance in getting to that point, but he doesn't force anybody to do anything. He doesn't take innocent 3-year-olds away because he 'wants another angel in heaven' and he doesn't provide miracle cures and he doesn't make the Blessed Virgin appear on tortillas and he doesn't throw the Superbowl, no matter how much the teams pray for victory. For that mater, he doesn't throw the outcome of wars, either. We can pray for guidance and wisdom, but that's all we're gonna get, and sometimes, people don't even get that.

So if we want something, we'd better get busy and help ourselves, not sit around waiting to be served.
 

burnedandfrozen

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have to agree with the above replies. I'm also reminded of a neighbor who many years ago let their young son die because they were Christian Scientists. I was very young myself and didn't realize what that ment until I was older. Still, their son would probably be still alive today (I don't recall what he had but my father said it was treatable) but I guess they believed it was Gods will. Like I said, I'm not knocking anyone...I'm all for freedom of religion but sometimes I think religion can cause more sorrow and guilt then necessary.
 

android

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by AddisonBelmont

I am a Christian, and a conservative Christian at that--not in the political sense, mind you--but I don't believe God cares who we marry or if we marry. He wants us to be happy and has given us guidance in getting to that point, but he doesn't force anybody to do anything. He doesn't take innocent 3-year-olds away because he 'wants another angel in heaven' and he doesn't provide miracle cures and he doesn't make the Blessed Virgin appear on tortillas and he doesn't throw the Superbowl, no matter how much the teams pray for victory. For that mater, he doesn't throw the outcome of wars, either. We can pray for guidance and wisdom, but that's all we're gonna get, and sometimes, people don't even get that.

So if we want something, we'd better get busy and help ourselves, not sit around waiting to be served.

I like your theological outlook, I bet you don't pray for red lights to change either, do you?
 

mpcsb

Inactive User
quote:Originally posted by android

quote:Originally posted by AddisonBelmont

I am a Christian, and a conservative Christian at that--not in the political sense, mind you--but I don't believe God cares who we marry or if we marry. He wants us to be happy and has given us guidance in getting to that point, but he doesn't force anybody to do anything. He doesn't take innocent 3-year-olds away because he 'wants another angel in heaven' and he doesn't provide miracle cures and he doesn't make the Blessed Virgin appear on tortillas and he doesn't throw the Superbowl, no matter how much the teams pray for victory. For that mater, he doesn't throw the outcome of wars, either. We can pray for guidance and wisdom, but that's all we're gonna get, and sometimes, people don't even get that.

So if we want something, we'd better get busy and help ourselves, not sit around waiting to be served.

I like your theological outlook, I bet you don't pray for red lights to change either, do you?

Those would be the people I ride public transport with. :( I don't mean any disrespect. I don't believe myself, I was raised very high church smells and bells greek/latin scholarship/debate church. I actually am somewhat resentful that the popular view of christianity is the "pray for the red light to change" image. I know and respect too many highly educated/academicly sound people who do believe, who can carry on a seriously intellectual debate concerning matters religious, that these popular images of what it mean to be a christian seem so demeaning. Sorry for the rant, I tend to be defensive about people I care about, or at least respect.
 

AddisonBelmont

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
[Android, back in the fall I was at some friends' house for the weekend, and we spent an afternoon planting daffodil bulbs in their side yard. Evening set in before we finished, and we were were pretty much working by faith, not by sight. When the neighbor's son came out to shoot baskets, he switched on the light in the driveway. Under her breath I heard the wife say "Thank you, Jesus!"]
 

ashie259

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
How can God find us the perfect partner, or stop disease, or end wars, when he's got more important things to do such as help golfers win tournaments? I'll never forget Scott Simpson saying after he won the 1987 US Open, "I just went out there and played the way God tells us to play golf."
 

J. Homely

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by mpcsb
I know and respect too many highly educated/academicly sound people who do believe, who can carry on a seriously intellectual debate concerning matters religious, that these popular images of what it mean to be a christian seem so demeaning.

I agree. After all, secular principles of ethics, honor and 'values' are no more or less 'irrational' than religiosity. What matters is how you use those ideas to form the basis of your interactions with other human beings and the world at large. (Though of course, even that's not really 'true' in any absolute sense -- but I like it.)
;)
 
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.