SlideGuitarist

Advanced Member
When Tavi Gevinson appears in public in this sort of outfit, no one has the nerve to say how hideous it looks.

I can't hate a decade that brought us this, though:

Tempest

Honors Member
4. Patchwork is always bad.
5. No problems here. Would wear.
7. I'd taper those pants and wear them.
8. It's loungewear, it says so right at the top.
10. Good stripes.
15. Yes, ascots!
21. I'd go with the loden green myself.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Wow! Thanks for reminding me how grateful I was that the 70's finally ended!

(Though I have always wondered how I'd look in a mint green mini-dress!)

grumpy_old_man38113906_std.jpg

Quetzal

Suspended
Too bad the majority of 1970s clothing consisted of cheap and useless synthetic costumey garbage. There were many nice clothes to be worn in the 1970s; I think it was the last time that wool was cheaper than polyester!

-Quetzal

DG123

70's bell bottoms, platform shoes, leisure suits etc... is better than what I see in my neighborhood these days, that is jeans with t shirts and flip flops.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
The people who designed and marketed these things were middle aged and older "creative executives"...think "Roger Sterling conceptualizes Jimi Hendrix". Those who wore them thought they were "really hep", and that Sonny & Cher were hippies. Much the same type who got all "cowboy truck driver" or Miami Vice in the '80s, and who now ape the red carpet look on their S&K charge account.

Last edited:

Tempest

Honors Member
70's bell bottoms, platform shoes, leisure suits etc... is better than what I see in my neighborhood these days, that is jeans with t shirts and flip flops.
FACT! Add to that the goofy mesh shorts that go down below the knee. This stuff was at least novel and interesting. It was betrayed that some effort was made and one did not sleep in the items.

The before or after anything suit...

Bad? Yes, but certainly not the worst on display there.
If you are old enough, you can remember the old style of Wheel of Fortune. After you solved the puzzle, you would spend your money on various items in their showroom. Typically, there was a little money left over. So people would end up buying this ceramic dog statue to use up the remainder of their money. It looked just like the one in this picture. lol

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Having lived through that era, I've got to ask, "did they ever sell any of those misguided designs?" I never saw any such outfits being worn by real people; only manikins in store displays and models pics in catalogs.

:icon_scratch:

Quetzal

Suspended
Having lived through that era, I've got to ask, "did they ever sell any of those misguided designs?" I never saw any such outfits being worn by real people; only manikins in store displays and models pics in catalogs.

:icon_scratch:
I'm guessing that life was still the same as the 50s in your area, at least in terms of dress? If so, I've always that places where life in the 70s was still in the 50s was fascinating.

-Quetzal

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.