Wikipedia on American Trad

Markh58

The purpose of the Wikipedia web site is to allow others with knowledge of the topic to add or correct information reported. I found this and thought who better to weigh in on the topic of "Trad" then you fine gentlemen. So he's your chance to go down in history. Of course I don't want to waste time and space, so please direct me to an earlier thread if this has already been done.

Copied form Wikipedia:
"American Trad From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article or section does not adequately cite its references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. (help, get involved!)
Any material not supported by sources may be challenged and removed at any time. This article has been tagged since January 2007.
American Trad (also known as AmerTrad or simply Trad in the United States) is a men's clothing style that was influenced by early Brooks Brothers clothes and its amalgam of Anglo-American style; as well as by the natural-shouldered Ivy League clothing style of the 1920s to 1960s. For this reason, American Trad is sometimes considered akin to the preppy look.
Eschewing blatant display of excess and fickle fashion, the American Trad style includes elements such as the three-button rolled to two ("3/2" for short) sack fit blazers and suits, plain front trousers, button-down Oxford cloth shirts, silk ties, and loafers made by Alden, Bass (the Weejun) and other New England shoe manufacturers. A look similar to American Trad appears in Italian films of 1950s and 1960s, and within the British mod subculture of the same period.
Having been assimilated into mainstream American style, the American Trad look has continued into the 2000s, more or less intact. J. Press, a men's clothier from New Haven, Connecticut, exemplifies this style, and its clothing style has changed little since 1902. Stores such as O'Connell's in Buffalo, New York, and Cable Car Clothiers of San Francisco, California are examples of the few stores that continue to exclusively offer clothing in the American Trad style.
Although American Trad is sometimes associated with New England mainstream WASP culture, notable adherents have included authors and journalists such as F. Scott Fitzgerald, John O'Hara, Ralph Ellison, the early Jack Kerouac, George Frazier, and George Plimpton. The look was also adopted by jazz musicians such as Miles Davis and Chet Baker, who bought their clothes from The Andover Shop in Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts".

Desk Jockey

Middle of last year, I think, a call went out to carry forth the light of knowledge from these pseudo-cloth covered pages to edit, and when necessary create, wiki articles. Good money says that that page draws it's origin from a member or two of this forum.

Did a lot of work on the Dress Shirt article myself.

BobGuam

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Wikipedia and a Librarian

In library land the Wikipedia is a quick source for information. But since anyone can add to it. It really a place for entertainment and not always factual information.

BTW, April 15 - 21 is National Library Week. Bob

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
BobGuam said:
In library land the Wikipedia is a quick source for information. But since anyone can add to it. It really a place for entertainment and not always factual information.
That's the nub of the matter. Wiki has great potential, but allowing just any bonehead to change whatever he (are there any women on the internet?) likes is hopeless. Some articles, however, have achieved a permanance, and I wonder how that was achieved?

DocD

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange