Maggio

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
William Sani

Is anybody familiar with William Sani, owner of privately held Hong Kong Grand Custom Clothes? He runs ads in The Wall Street Journal and sells his suits from traveling showrooms set up in hotels around the country. Today's ad features introductory packages--$1199 for 3 suits or 2 suits, 1 jacket and 1 slacks and a CEO package of same items for $1679. Each of his three packages come with 6 free shirts.
Maggio

curt

Starting Member
William Sani Hong Kong Grand

I would appreciate anyone's experience with Hong Kong Grand as advertised in the "Wall Street Journal." Does he provide a good value? I was asked to bring an example of a suit I like. That's fine; but I don't want to give it to him. It's somewhat expensive.

Please forgive me. I am far from an authority on clothing. I buy what I like and what I think is most appropriate for work. However, I have one question. I own two Brioni suites and I like them very much. What level of fabric do they use? Super 150? Super 200? I don't know a lot about fabric classification[?]. Nevertheless, I've heard that fiber length is as important as fiber density. How do you know? -- Especially when you are dealing with a custom tailor that you have never met before, looking at material swatches at a hotel location.

Thanks in advance for your help.

irishboy

Tailor - William Sani?

Has anyone heard of or gotten clothing from William Sani, a Hong Kong Tailor in the Wall Street Journal? His business is called Hong Kong Grand Custom Clothes. He comes recommended from a fairly trusted associate, and I just thought I'd see if anyone had advice or recommendations. I'm considering making an appointment when he's here next week. Thanks!

NatGasTrader

Starting Member
William Sani - Hong Kong Grand Custom

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has experience ordering suits/shirts from Mr. Sani. Any comments, advice, etc., much appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

jwoodywild

Starting Member
Hi,

William Sani and his company Hong Kong Grand are here in Atlanta today. They have ads that often are seen in the Wall St. Journal or NY Times. They seem to have some great deals---3 MTM suits + 6 shirts for ~$1300. But I have no idea about their quality or reputation. Anyone ever use them or have any advice? Seems like these prices are hard to beat for MTM suits and shirts.

marknave4me

Starting Member
Avoid William Sani & hong Kong Grand Custom Clothes

I tried out his low-end package of 3 suits--one cotton and 2 150 thread count worsted wool--supposibly. After experiencing itching and being unusually hot, I suspected an issue. I sent the material to a materials testing laboratory through my dry cleaner, and sure enough, it was a polyester wool blend--CHEAP substitute for what was advertised and promised.

I have registered a complaint with BBB and I'm still awaiting a refund after 4 months. I suspect I'll be stuck with these plastic suits!

My recommendation: AVOID William Sani!!

Mark

ZX758

Starting Member
William Sani

I have never tried the guy myself, but someone I know highly recommended this guy to me. My only concern is dealing with someone who is out of state. I would prefer someone who has a store front and that you can easily get a hold of. If I were you I would try a Hong Kong Tailor based in New York, and has a showroom. You might pay a little more, but at least you will never have the fabric switched out on you. My friend has never had the fabric switched out on him from William Sani. However I known someone who has used another Hong Kong tailor and that tailor switched the fabrics on him.

flylot74

First off, think about this for a moment: three suits and six shirts for under $1200? Just think for a minute. Now, I was in Hong Kong and had WW Chan make one 3 pc. suit for more than that! Again, think about this. What do YOU think the quality would be like?

You are not going to get quality fabric, you are not going to get a canvassed suit. You will get a MTM suit cut and sewn by a volume house that may not even be in HKG but in some sweatshop in Shenzen or worse. Attention to detail will be non existent, fabric, thread, lining and buttons will be highly suspect.

I'm not telling to not buy these suits, but I am telling you that you should not expect anything approaching what a well made MTM suit should be. The firm will mail your suit from Hong Kong and you may have a heck of a time getting a remake or an adjustment long distance.

What I think you will get is three suits that you could buy in the states for $300-$350 each and six shirts which might be worth about $30-$35 each, if you are lucky!

Personally, I would wait for sales at BB or other fine stores that pull the trigger on that deal. There is no free lunch!

BigPhil4

Starting Member
WILLIAM SANI

I just received what was supposed to be a custom make Honk Kong Suit from William Sani. This suit cost me $1100.00 and was god-awful. The sleeves were the wrong length, the sleeves puckered at the shoulders, the pans were not lined as promised, there were no working buttons on the cuffs of the jacket, the material feels like plastic. I have been to Honk Kong many times and have many "Hong Kong" suits - this suit is absolute junk. Another contributor to this forum is 100% correct when he states: "Attention to detail is non existent, fabric, thread, lining and button are highly suspect. The air fare to Hong Kong is about $800.00 RT from the NYC area. Fly there, have three to four suits made, enjoy Hong Kong. You will save money and have a great time. Above all STAY AWAY FROM WILLIAM SANI AND HONG KONG GRAND!

suitguy11

Starting Member
Hong Kong Grand

I have been a customer of Hong Kong Grand for the last 10 or so years. I have used many tailors in my life and I have always found the prices good, the service exceptional and the clothing was well made and built to last.

I have never had the clothes tested but I have recently ordered 4 suits. I will look at having them tested and try and report back.

In short, I highly recommend William Sani and Hong Kong Grand.

GBR

I have been a customer of Hong Kong Grand for the last 10 or so years. I have used many tailors in my life and I have always found the prices good, the service exceptional and the clothing was well made and built to last.

I have never had the clothes tested but I have recently ordered 4 suits. I will look at having them tested and try and report back.

In short, I highly recommend William Sani and Hong Kong Grand.
How strange a first time poster should be able to praise this less well-known house, and against the flow of other posts...

MF177

How strange a first time poster should be able to praise this less well-known house, and against the flow of other posts...
a friend of mine had shirts and trousers made. he said the shirts were fine, but hes really an easy fit and likes to wear them loose. no better or worse than CT he said.

But he liked the trousers thought they were well made and fit him.

but he was afraid to order a suit from them and i guess so am i

Saubr01

Starting Member
Good experience with Hong Kong Grand

I bought three suits, six shirts and six ties from Mr. Sani in 2002. Suits were of excellent quality. All wool, fully lined jacket and crotch, working sleeve buttons, hidden belt pocket in pants, good pockets in jacket. It is now almost 2012 and I wore through the pants on two of the suits. One is still in service.

Shirts were of custom designs that I chose and turned out well. Fabric was thinner than I prefer. Ties were a toss in.

G

Guest-761638

William Sani Hong Kong Grand

I would appreciate anyone's experience with Hong Kong Grand as advertised in the "Wall Street Journal." Does he provide a good value? I was asked to bring an example of a suit I like. That's fine; but I don't want to give it to him. It's somewhat expensive.

Please forgive me. I am far from an authority on clothing. I buy what I like and what I think is most appropriate for work. However, I have one question. I own two Brioni suites and I like them very much. What level of fabric do they use? Super 150? Super 200? I don't know a lot about fabric classification[?]. Nevertheless, I've heard that fiber length is as important as fiber density. How do you know? -- Especially when you are dealing with a custom tailor that you have never met before, looking at material swatches at a hotel location.

Thanks in advance for your help.
He is great we used him at our corporate offices for a number of years. As a matter of fact I got much larger from those years so I handed them down to my son they were exceptional quality and exceptional fit always very happy with them

G

Guest-851038

William Sani

Is anybody familiar with William Sani, owner of privately held Hong Kong Grand Custom Clothes? He runs ads in The Wall Street Journal and sells his suits from traveling showrooms set up in hotels around the country. Today's ad features introductory packages--$1199 for 3 suits or 2 suits, 1 jacket and 1 slacks and a CEO package of same items for $1679. Each of his three packages come with 6 free shirts.
Maggio
You will not fine a better person than Mr. Sani!

Festus

Baltimore, MD.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.