wingtip shoes? safe buy or trendy

miamimike

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have many dress shoes but no wingtips. The sales person told me that wingtip is very much in style right now but Iam hesitant to buy them since 1. "very much in style" = trendy
2. always pictured wingtip shoes as "older" men shoes. Iam 28

Dont get me wrong I found some that I liked but I dont like trends since they dont last long and are they really older man shoes? Whats your opinion on wingtip shoes? In case this helps, I wear my shoes for work and going out at night. :cool:

Dhaller

Elite Member
A classic wingtip will always be "in style", trendy or not. A good wingtip is pretty much an essential element of a corporate wardrobe!

That said, I don't think I'd wear one "out at night" unless it was drinks with business associates or the like.

As for being a shoe for the senior set, I'd say I wore wingtips more as a teenager and in my 20s than I do now (I'm 41), mainly because I simply don't work in a corporate environment. It's not so much that it's an "older man's" shoe as it is a "corporate" shoe.

One more thing. IMO nothing looks worse than a cheap wingtip; be willing to spend some money on the good stuff, and spring for a set of cedar shoe-trees to store them.

DCH

tmack3

Go to Grenson front page and you will see a beautiful pic of fully brogued wingtips. Take a good look and ask yourself, "How can these shoes ever go out of style?"

Mark Anthony

Derby or Oxford or does it matter?

Wingtips are a classic style don't hesitate from that perspective.

Not to hijack the thread with my question, but I will anyway. I am also looking and will go with a brown wingtip, but am curious if I should go with a Derby or Oxford style?

C&J has an oxford style that comes in G width that looks interesting.

Or would a Derby be more versatile in that it can be used for more casual situations as well?

mafoofan

Didn't you answer your own question? If you think they're both trendy and 'old man shoes', the dots should connect themselves.

Puffdaddy

Or would a Derby be more versatile in that it can be used for more casual situations as well?

I sort of look at it the other way--I think a full-wing oxford in a medium brown wears well casually, but I find some derby models to be almost too casual for business.

Honestly, though, it really doesn't matter. They are great.

cvac

Like the others said, wingtips (good ones) are a pretty safe buy. Personally, I think wingtips look sharp, and I don't care if some think they are "old man's shoes". They only go "in and out of fashion" for the GQ crowd. Again, in the business world, they are a classic.

Tonyp

Inactive user
Wingtips are a classic style don't hesitate from that perspective.

Not to hijack the thread with my question, but I will anyway. I am also looking and will go with a brown wingtip, but am curious if I should go with a Derby or Oxford style?

C&J has an oxford style that comes in G width that looks interesting.

I would only get a Oxford brogue. Derby style is too casual for suits imho.

mcarthur

Connoisseur
^ welcome to the forum.
Alden wing tip bal oxford in burgundy shell
xlw9iq.jpg

Orsini

Honors Member
I have many dress shoes but no wingtips. The sales person told me that wingtip is very much in style right now but Aim hesitant to buy them since 1. "very much in style" = trendy
2. always pictured wingtip shoes as "older" men shoes. Aim 28

Dint get me wrong I found some that I liked but I dint like trends since they dint last long and are they really older man shoes? Whats your opinion on wingtip shoes? In case this helps, I wear my shoes for work and going out at night. :cool:
Wingtips are a classic item. In the United States, they are very good for business. I suggest at least one Cordovan #8 pair in any businessman's wardrobe. Very good with your "power suit" on the day when you need the team to sign off on your project.

JayJay

I would only get a Oxford brogue. Derby style is too casual for suits imho.
I'm sitting in my office wearing black shell longwings with my navy pinstripe suit. I love wingtips and wear both wingtip bluchers and balmorals. Of course I have other styles of shoes, too, but my favorites are my longwings.

Scoundrel

Elite Member
Very safe buy

Additionally, I find it unusual that you have many shoes but none wingtip

Are you looking for brogued or seamed?

Wing-tip doesn't have to mean brogued

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange