wingtip shoes? safe buy or trendy

Rossini

Honors Member
Safe and classic. Interesting to hear that its now a trendy style. That might help it shed its slightly stuffy older man image, which I agree it does have. Not that anyone should pay attention to such things.

Scoundrel

Elite Member
When I say seamed I mean they sew some sort of thick thread in the shape of a wingtip. The look, I think, is dressier than an actually brogued wingtip.

I've also seen wingtips that are clearly pieced on, but have no brogues.

Matt S

Connoisseur
^ welcome to the forum.
Alden wing tip bal oxford in burgundy shell
xlw9iq.jpg

Very nice shoes. The burgundy is very nice. IMO, wing-tips are best in non-black shades. I think your shoes would look even nicer if they were straight laced.

Tim Correll

Elite Member
Wingtips are never in style and never out of style. They are a classic style and you will never go wrong with them.

Touché, printemps2001us; laced wing tips kick buttocks! BTW, what do the following terms mean: brogue, semi brogue, balmoral and blucher?

And, what are the correct pronunciations for balmoral and blucher?

I know that the correct pronunciation for brogue is /broegg/ while the correct pronunciation for semi is /seh'mei/ as well as /seh'mee/.

Kav

Inactive user
Burt Lancaster in one of his last roles in FIELD OF DREAMS. The young baseball player runs to the gravel line, looks down and hesitates. A moment later you see wingtips cross over. Check out some of Burt's early films ( No, not the pirate one) and look at his shoes. Slaps Mike on back and catches small object in hand. Why, it's just a piece of misconception.

Last edited:

ColeFieldHouse

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
To the OP, please don't forget to mark your threads with a question mark so I can find them immediately on my scan. Almost missed this one!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange