Winter Coat Basics

A10ACN

I've lived overseas in tropical climates for the past few years, so winter coats were not a concern. Been back Stateside now for a few months and have had reason to wear suits during harsh weather. Shopping now for a nice, general purpose winter coat to wear over a suit in weather. What points should concern me? So far I'm thinking black, 100% wool, longer than the suit jacket (mid-thigh to knee). Opinions?

momsdoc

Connoisseur
Sounds like you need an overcoat if you're wearing suits. Just make sure the V in front is not large or the frigid air will overwhelm your ability to block it with a scarf. It should be knee length to mid way between knee and ankle for sufficient coverage. Mid thigh or significantly above the knee does not offer sufficient protection from the cold and wind. Black or charcoal are fine for a single overcoat, a second in camel is a nice luxury. If you can find one where the right side of the lapel has a button hole, it can then be closed if you're outside a while in brutally cold, windy weather. Cashmere is warmer than wool oz./ per oz., and has a great hand. However it is more delicate, so a blend might serve you better.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange