eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Have any of our members experienced The Wolf Stainless Steel kitchen appliances...Coffee Makers, Toasters, Toaster Ovens? I am specifically interested in the Wolf drip coffee maker, but alas, they are priced considerably higher that the other coffee preparation gadgets I have included in our caffeine corral. In short, can a drip grind coffee maker be worth $500, even if it does come with a five year full warranty? :icon_scratch:

TKI67

Elite Member
Have any of our members experienced The Wolf Stainless Steel kitchen appliances...Coffee Makers, Toasters, Toaster Ovens? I am specifically interested in the Wolf drip coffee maker, but alas, they are priced considerably higher that the other coffee preparation gadgets I have included in our caffeine corral. In short, can a drip grind coffee maker be worth $500, even if it does come with a five year full warranty? :icon_scratch:
O caffeinated one, this is not strictly speaking responsive as I have no experience with anything Wolf other than the restaurant versions of their stoves, which are wonderful, but in the coffee realm I did a fair amount of research a few years ago and picked a Bonavita. The Techivorm was cooler and pricier, but the reviewers gave the nod to Bonavita for producing, at the time, the best cup of coffee. It does make excellent drip coffee, is quick, and has a carafe with good heat retention.

If you are ever looking for a toaster, Dualit. No microchips. Mechanical timer. Replaceable elements. Fast real toast.

SG_67

Connoisseur
Wolf is known for its ranges but I’m afraid most of everything else they make trades off the name. I’m fact, though the ranges are domestically made, I believe those other small appliances are made overseas. I’m not sure of a qualitative or quantitative difference between similarly priced peers.

We have a capresso coffee maker we purchased about ~15 years ago from Williams-Sonoma. It’s still going strong. The internal plumbing is marine grade brass so it’s pretty corrosion resistant. I’m fact, I cannot remember the last time I descaled it.

The best part, it’s still available and for well <$200.

SG_67

Connoisseur
My apologies for all of the type-o’s. It’s one of the drawbacks of using a iPhone. It autocorrects after I’ve already moved on to the next word.

Dhaller

Elite Member
Wolf (and SubZero) products are great. So, it may be worth it?

Here's my opinion: if *every* step of your coffee-making process is excellent, then the Wolf coffee maker could be a good value.

Put another way, the Wolf *won't be the bottleneck* in making good coffee.

If you're getting amazing beans, and grinding them to the exact specification needed for use in the Wolf, and so on, then sure, it's a worthwhile investment.

Same with any kind of high-end appliance, from a Wolf coffee maker to a Shun classic chef's knife to a Porsche 911 Turbo S: it can make the most of whatever skill and material you can feed into it. Me? I'm probably not meticulous enough in the kitchen to really *use* a high-end coffee machine. If you are, by all means, indulge!

DH

eagle2250

^^
The last time I applied that logic I ended up buying a Rolex...before that it was a pair of Alligator hide custom boots. This could get expensive. LOL. ;)

TKI67

Elite Member
The above mentioned Bonavita still gets regular use as certain occasions demand black coffee, but as long as you are contemplating coffee making equipment at higher price points, you might consider an espresso maker. I say this as my SWMBO and I are nursing pre-breakfast cafe latte made by the ancient Elektra. I know that you like a splash of milk in your coffee. I’m guessing you like cafe latte and cappuccino as well. I met someone at a well regarded local coffee place the other day and had a cappuccino for the sake of comparison. My home made are honestly immensely better. If you are inclined to go out for such beverages the home solution can almost be rationalized in terms of payback. If you want to research such things, the espresso thread here is good, and better still is the website Coffeegeek. I warn you that most of the posters on that site, however, are probably sporting beards and wearing pork pies, plaid shirts, tired jeans, and shoes like Doc Martins. They do, nonetheless, know their coffee. You may also find information there on the Wolf. That was a site I used to arrive at the Bonavita. Ok, my latte bowl is empty. Time to make boiled eggs and home made English muffins.

SG_67

Connoisseur
Going on coffee geek for something as simple is like coming here for advice on socks; you’ll soon be sucked into things you never bargained for.

They talk about their “dream” espresso makers and brag about hotrodding their existing machines.

I fell into that trap years ago and now have a Nespresso machine. I can’t tell the difference and it’s nowhere near the pain in the **s as my Rancilio was.

You can find a perfectly excellent coffee maker for well under $200.

By the way, I get my whole beans from intelligentsia coffee. The bearded and plaid shirt, suspender and tight jeans coffee hipsters there rave about the Bonavita coffee maker.

TKI67

Elite Member
Going on coffee geek for something as simple is like coming here for advice on socks; you’ll soon be sucked into things you never bargained for.

They talk about their “dream” espresso makers and brag about hotrodding their existing machines.

I fell into that trap years ago and now have a Nespresso machine. I can’t tell the difference and it’s nowhere near the pain in the **s as my Rancilio was.

You can find a perfectly excellent coffee maker for well under $200.

By the way, I get my whole beans from intelligentsia coffee. The bearded and plaid shirt, suspender and tight jeans coffee hipsters there rave about the Bonavita coffee maker.
Agreed on Coffeegeek. Their talk of very sophisticated and pricey stuff was a turn off, but I did like it that you could usually find pretty honest comments based on actual usage, even for less pricey items. The insights and experiences of users helped me identify and snap up a very old machine at a bargain price. Cheers!

eagle2250

I will take at the coffee geek site. Though while I do covet a good cup of Joe in the morning (and most afternoons), I'm not at all sure that I qualify as a true believer/coffee geek. However, I am a sucker for gadgetry and gimmicks and will check the site out for future incentives to buy. :oops:

In response to your post #7, we do have a low end Delonghi Espresso machine and a Bialatti cast aluminum espresso maker, both of which see occasional use. I do like cafe latte and cappuccino, but, during this most recent weight loss campaign, I've been sticking with pretty much with coffee, with just a splash of 2% milk in it, or in my most desperate moments, just black coffee...Bleah! :crazy:

TKI67

Elite Member
I will take at the coffee geek site. Though while I do covet a good cup of Joe in the morning (and most afternoons), I'm not at all sure that I qualify as a true believer/coffee geek. However, I am a sucker for gadgetry and gimmicks and will check the site out for future incentives to buy. :oops:

In response to your post #7, we do have a low end Delonghi Espresso machine and a Bialatti cast aluminum espresso maker, both of which see occasional use. I do like cafe latte and cappuccino, but, during this most recent weight loss campaign, I've been sticking with pretty much with coffee, with just a splash of 2% milk in it, or in my most desperate moments, just black coffee...Bleah! :crazy:
O winged one, so sorry you are, along with me and legions of others, grappling with weight loss and sorry you are not an aficionado of black coffee. I also note that you and dark roasts are not harmonious. That’s rough. Dark roasts tend to have lower acidity and, not necessarily a plus, lower caffeine. Thursday is the day my son comes over for a weekly visit and check in, and when he comes through the door he always makes a beeline for the coffee pot. We are having drip French roast. Good luck and words of encouragement as we battle the calories demon. My approach, making slow but steady progress, has been simple portion control of things I like coupled with regular time with my Water Rower. It’s hard to go from cooking for four to cooking for three to cooking for two to cooking for somewhere around 1.75. Fortunately, being retired now, when I make to much there is time to figure out ways to redeploy any leftovers. Of course there’s always the fall back that virtually everything can be tossed into a frittata or a salad!

challer

In my opinion, Breville is by far the best performance of countertop appliances these days. My wife - who really uses the kitchen hard, swears by them and we simply never have a problem. Wolf I am told outsources their desktop appliances to other makers, so the quality of Wolf/Subzero/Cove is not likely reflected in them. For ovens/stop tops/dishwasher/fridge we are WSC all the way. Other than a kitchenaid mixer and panasonic microwave, we've replaced all the desktop stuff with Breville - ice cream maker, food processor, blender, nespresso, tea maker, toaster oven (rivals the wolf full size in many ways), juicer, frother, bread machine, deep fryer and more I cannot remember.

eagle2250

My apologies for all of the type-o’s. It’s one of the drawbacks of using a iPhone. It autocorrects after I’ve already moved on to the next word.
LOL. No worries. As I age and continue to attempt typing these posts on a desktop keyboard, my fingers appear to be becoming increasingly dyslexic. I hope this does not prove to be a preview of my future! ;)

eagle2250

Egad, I am somewhat shamed to have to admit to caving in to my weakness for high end, glitzy gadgetry and, perhaps, unjustly fabled quality and durability. In spite of all the wise counsel regarding more reasonably priced quality alternatives, I purchased a Wolf Drip Coffee Maker for $200 off list price and found it sitting on our front porch, late yesterday afternoon. The goal is to get it unboxed, the manual read and have it put into regular use by this weekend. As that old saw tells us, "a fool and his money are soon parted" and it appears that it may be true! LOL. ;)

SG_67

Connoisseur
Egad, I am somewhat shamed to have to admit to caving in to my weakness for high end, glitzy gadgetry and, perhaps, unjustly fabled quality and durability. In spite of all the wise counsel regarding more reasonably priced quality alternatives, I purchased a Wolf Drip Coffee Maker for $200 off list price and found it sitting on our front porch, late yesterday afternoon. The goal is to get it unboxed, the manual read and have it put into regular use by this weekend. As that old saw tells us, "a fool and his money are soon parted" and it appears that it may be true! LOL. ;)
If you got it for $200 off then it might have been a relatively fair price. Hey, we all deserve to indulge our vices now and then.

About 2 years ago we remodeled our kitchen and I sooo wanted a Miele built in coffee/espresso maker, but just couldn’t justify the price.

eagle2250

Performance report: It is a sizeable coffee maker and takes up a good bit of counter space.

The auto brew setting on the Wolf coffee maker yields a darned good cup of Joe, using Folger's Lantern Glow blend and Black Silk, but the yield with the Peruvian Cajamarca blend still tastes like watered down swamp sh*t. When the manual setting is used, it all depends on the skill of the user. It appears we will be using that auto brew setting pretty much all the time! ;)

derum

Inactive
Performance report: It is a sizeable coffee maker and takes up a good bit of counter space.

The auto brew setting on the Wolf coffee maker yields a darned good cup of Joe, using Folger's Lantern Glow blend and Black Silk, but the yield with the Peruvian Cajamarca blend still tastes like watered down swamp sh*t. When the manual setting is used, it all depends on the skill of the user. It appears we will be using that auto brew setting pretty much all the time! ;)
Which proves the old adage "if you buy coffee that tastes like watered down swamp sh*t, brewing it in a fancy coffee machine just means you have slightly more expensive watered down swamp sh*t"
;)

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.