TKI67

I, too, have been tinkering with manual production but on a fifty year old lever espresso machine. Ironically, I got the grind dialed in pretty quickly. The biggest learning curve was the management of the lever, closely followed by the steam wand. Eventually I figured that the trick with steaming was to bleed off that first push of hot air and get it expelling straight steam before putting the wand in the milk.

Eagle, I’m with SG_67 on this one. Even average freshly roasted and ground beans beat the very best canned offerings in my experience.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
In my defense (LOL) we do grind the beans for a number of our regular use choices for caffeination each morning (the Folgers Lantern's Glow, some Dunkin Donuts Breakfast Blend, Costco's Cuban Blend and the dreaded Peruvian Cajamarca). The Folgers Breakfast Blend and the Black Silk blend come already ground and sold in those gawd awful red plastic tubs. ;)

SG_67

Connoisseur
In my defense (LOL) we do grind the beans for a number of our regular use choices for caffeination each morning (the Folgers Lantern's Glow, some Dunkin Donuts Breakfast Blend, Costco's Cuban Blend and the dreaded Peruvian Cajamarca). The Folgers Breakfast Blend and the Black Silk blend come already ground and sold in those gawd awful red plastic tubs. ;)
You should try the Kona blend at Costco. It’s remarkably good.

derum

Inactive
I use Illy Cafe Normale medium roast. Perfect for me as lots of flavour but not too strong.
- I bought a home coffee roaster which works really well but I can't beat the illy, so it sits in the cupboard.....

eagle2250

^^
Grinding the beans at home is as far as I've ever taken my efforts for a better cup of Joe at home. I'm not sure I am ready to also roast the beans, But I respect your initiative. :beer:

SG_67

Connoisseur
^^
Grinding the beans at home is as far as I've ever taken my efforts for a better cup of Joe at home. I'm not sure I am ready to also roast the beans, But I respect your initiative. :beer:
Baby steps. Start by grinding.

Then proceed to roasting. Pretty soon, you’ll be growing and harvesting. You’ll be the new Juan Valdez.

derum

Inactive
^^
Much as i'd like to claim some expertise in the roasting trade ;) In reality I just put the raw beans in this and turned it on:
1CFA29D3-B1C8-4E0B-ABF2-5DDA3D5BC161.jpeg

eagle2250

Baby steps. Start by grinding.

Then proceed to roasting. Pretty soon, you’ll be growing and harvesting. You’ll be the new Juan Valdez.
I can appreciate the logic in your suggestion. Hell, SWMBO already has an ongoing affair with Juan Valdez, as she daily enjoys her 'O-Dark Thirty' cup of Joe. If I roasted my own beans, it just might spice up things beyond the culinary aspects of our lives? LOL. ;)

Much as i'd like to claim some expertise in the roasting trade ;) In reality I just put the raw beans in this and turned it on:
View attachment 30869
I've added the Fresh Roast SR500 to my wish list! Thanks for the suggestion. :beer:

eagle2250

^^I almost hate to admit that the accu-brew setting consistently yields better results than I produce using the manual setting. Egad, one more example of a machine proving itself smarter than the human operating it! :crazy: :( LOL. ;)

TKI67

^^I almost hate to admit that the accu-brew setting consistently yields better results than I produce using the manual setting. Egad, one more example of a machine proving itself smarter than the human operating it! :crazy: :( LOL. ;)
I know that feeling. My car is eleven years old, and I am STILL learning things it can do!

TKI67

The last two cars I've owned, I've had to spend 4-5 weeks with the owners' manual just to find out what all the stuff on the dashboard means/does!
There remain two buttons. The manual says one activates something that affects how it handles. I discern no difference; so to me it is the switch that turns on a light on the dash. The other one relates, according to the manual, to some external lighting. Again. No difference. So to me it is simply a toggle switch you may toggle at will.

eagle2250

^^LOL...
....or both! I'm not sure those tiles are considered to be subway tile, as they measure one inch by two inches and come in (I think) square foot sheets of tiles affixed to mesh netting. The Home Depot guy just called them glass tiles, as I recall? :icon_scratch:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.