eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Finding myself inspired by another thread in the White Tie fora and by a movie the wife and viewed this weekend, I felt compelled to start a thread to document some of the worst decisions some of us have made in the choice(s) of movies we have elected to commit our precious hours of life to view! This past Saturday we saw a new release, "Pain and Gain," starring Donny Wahlburg, Dwayne Johnson/The Rock, etc. The movie is a black comedy about three almost lovable and certainly laughable muscleheads/personal trainers, hopped up on steroids who hatch a get rich quick scheme that involves kidnapping and fleecing their under muscled and overly rich clients. Sadly the movie is based on an actual crime that included kidnapping, multiple murders in which the victims were cut up with chain saws and the parts barbecued on a charcoal grill and then put in sealed barrels that were dropped in a canal, torture, and extortion! As we watched the movie people, people were frequently laughing and on two occasions they clapped.

Jeez Louise, how low can we go/get? Any similar examples you might wish to share for the good of the order? :eek:

hardline_42

Honors Member
You're meddling with forces beyond your ken, danielm, beyond your ken!
I've heard of the Ewok Line but, apparently, there must be a Gungan Line as well.

Anyone old enough to have seen the original Star Wars trilogy on the big screen (or at least on VHS) knows that Jake Lloyd + Jar-Jar Binks = Worst Movie Ever

VictorRomeo

Joking aside, there are of course thousands and thousands of movies made with little or no redeeming values. Anything from Uwe Boll for example... Then there are movies that are so intrinsically bad, they're funny - Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus for example. Then there are movies made by a first time hit director who gains the attention of a studio, gets a pile of cash and makes a monstrosity - Richard Kelly wrote and directed the fantastic Donnie Darko, but then went on to make the disastrous Southland Tales. Then there are the failed big budget blockbusters - Showgirls, Heaven's Gate, Cutthroat Island..... They flopped for a reason.... Finally, back to my first sentence.... There are thousands and thousands of movies made with little or no redeeming values... The Hottie and the Nottie, with Paris Hilton or 'Superbabies : Baby Geniuses 2 come to mind.... I'd rather scoop my eyes from their sockets with a rusty spoon than watch them....

But no.... none of those make my 'worst movie of all time'.... that honour goes to "Battlefield Earth". Even typing that makes me feel slightly ill..... It was shockingly bad and I quite possibly might have made use of a rusty spoon if I had one when I happened to watch it....

statboy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
eagle2250, I'm not sure you can blame The Rock....you paid to go see that, you should know what happens when he's in a movie.

Star Wars purists may enjoy this video I came across recently. THough you might have to be familiar with the Goyte song/video to maximize your enjoyment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE

Last edited:

toddorbertBU

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
But no.... none of those make my 'worst movie of all time'.... that honour goes to "Battlefield Earth". Even typing that makes me feel slightly ill..... It was shockingly bad and I quite possibly might have made use of a rusty spoon if I had one when I happened to watch it....
I'm curious, did you pay money to see Battlefield Earth in a theater because that would make it extra painful, I would think.

The worst movie I have ever seen in the theater was Senseless starring Marlon Wayans and Matthew Lillard. The least funny 'comedy' I can imagine.

VictorRomeo

I'm curious, did you pay money to see Battlefield Earth in a theater because that would make it extra painful, I would think.

The worst movie I have ever seen in the theater was Senseless starring Marlon Wayans and Matthew Lillard. The least funny 'comedy' I can imagine.
Nah, nerdy DVD night with nerd buddies years back....

hardline_42

Honors Member
My vote goes to "The Room." I know it's kind of a cliche as far as bad movies go, but this one really has no redeeming qualities. It's not "so bad it's good." It's just bad.

Anthony Charton

Not quite on par with the degree of utter ridiculousness as the aforementioned films (although in my mind, almost), but Julie Taymor's The Tempest is fairly appalling as an adaptation of the play. Anonymous, too, is full of balderdash, although quite enjoyable. I'm not sure why filmmakers seem to enjoy ransacking Shakespeare's legacy, but as I'm on the subject Julian Fellowes' Romeo and Juliet looks spectacularly bad, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTGWNHa1wIQ

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
eagle2250, I'm not sure you can blame The Rock....you paid to go see that, you should know what happens when he's in a movie.

Star Wars purists may enjoy this video I came across recently. THough you might have to be familiar with the Goyte song/video to maximize your enjoyment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE
ROFALOL! Statboy, my wife has been telling me the same thing and both of you are absolutely correct? I am guilty as charged, but on the other hand, I did forfeit 2 hours and 20 minutes of my life being punished for that mistake! Alas, I do hope I don't make such a mistake in the future, but as I've been told, I am a slow learner. ;)

Shaver

Suspended
I cannot even begin to formulate an answer to this question, for the plentitude of choice is beyond my capacity to reason. Well done Eagle my friend you have succeeded where so many before you have failed and left me utterly unable to respond.

Damn you. :icon_smile_wink:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals