Would you buy a "custom" suit that looks like this?

Stubbly

This is a product photo that I recently saw on a custom suit website. I believe this photo needs no elaboration.

CustomCharcoalSuit.jpg

Matt S

Connoisseur
The first things that stood out to me are the shoulders are a mess and it's shaped like a woman's jacket. It's probably as short as one too. I'd hate to see how awful it looks when the photo isn't cropped.

Ekphrastic

I've seen the combination of standard pockets with flaps and a jetted ticket pocket before, and it always seems jarring to me. Can anyone think of a situation in which it would be appropriate? I mean, is there something I'm missing?

10gallonhat

It looks like one of the suits I bought at Mens Warehouse when I was a teenager. How much were they quoting for something like this?

Matt S

Connoisseur
I've seen the combination of standard pockets with flaps and a jetted ticket pocket before, and it always seems jarring to me. Can anyone think of a situation in which it would be appropriate? I mean, is there something I'm missing?

I sometimes tuck in the flap of my ticket pocket for a cleaner look, but I'd prefer no ticket pocket at all. It looks better when the pockets are slanted. Sean Connery's houndstooth check suit in Goldfinger has flapped hacking pockets with a jetted ticket pocket: https://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=22

Jovan

Honors Member
The shoulders are a mess -- not a good way to advertise your product. The waist suppression is a matter of taste on the other hand.

I've tucked in the ticket pocket flap on my suit to be less noticeable, but frankly I don't think employers notice either way.

Matt S

Connoisseur
I guess if something is considered "fashionable," any considerations about fit or aesthetics can be thrown out the window...

A poor fit is currently fashionable. Current fashions have made it possible for companies to save a lot of money in ways that people don't notice. Many fashionable brands have done away with short and long sizes, and are just making everything like a short. That means they can save a lot of money by using less cloth because a tall man now can wear a short suit and be fashionable. A tight fit is also fashionable, and it doesn't matter if it pulls and creases.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
They simply made a mistake on their website. This is obviously the "first fitting" shot, just before the tailor rips the sleeves off and starts re-chalking. That surely isn't the "out the door" shot. Not if they want to sell anything.

Jovan

Honors Member
Matt: Don't turn into a conspiracy theorist, man!

phyrpowr: Think about the demographic they're marketing to. Many people will, if seeing a well fitting suit next to a poorly fitting one, rightly judge the superior one as being such. But without a basis for comparison, most people won't know any better.

Bjorn

Matt: Don't turn into a conspiracy theorist, man!

phyrpowr: Think about the demographic they're marketing to. Many people will, if seeing a well fitting suit next to a poorly fitting one, rightly judge the superior one as being such. But without a basis for comparison, most people won't know any better.

I think I saw an exec at Sara state that they were very cautious about employing excess fabric in their products, since it came out to be such a large portion of the direct costs. So I think Matts correct about that. Doesn't really feel like such a stretch either.

Magnusson

Almost everything these days tends to boil down to cost-cutting. You can make a better premium product and charge a lot more for it, and make a good profit, but you can make a stellar profit if you save every penny you can, on the already heavily marked-up "premium" items. In sartorial circles we love to gripe about armholes on suits today, but that's just another example: a large armhole is going to fit more people than a more snug, higher armhole, which makes the large sloppy option preferable for a company run by bean counters, since it costs a lot of extra money to offer a greater variety of coat patterns and cuts to suit different men's figures better.

jm22

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
This is far worse. Sorry I couldn't post just the picture on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TsAr

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I would not even think of buying this suit, but there are people who would wear it........

Pentheos

Elite Member
This is far worse. Sorry I couldn't post just the picture on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a men s lounge suit dress prom wedding slim fit double breasted checked suit US SZ

That's like six suits in one, so it's really a good deal.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange