Would you buy a "custom" suit that looks like this?

AIK1891_RdH

Starting Member
I sometimes tuck in the flap of my ticket pocket for a cleaner look, but I'd prefer no ticket pocket at all. It looks better when the pockets are slanted. Sean Connery's houndstooth check suit in Goldfinger has flapped hacking pockets with a jetted ticket pocket: https://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=22

And that was just on this afternoon so I had to watch it for that scene. :)
(my take was maybe he'd just come directly from the airport returning from abroad, hence the wearing a country suit in the city)

On a Bond-related question, in You Only Live Twice, does Bond wear a pair of very bold black/white spectators in Japan?
(either at the chemical company's office or on the docks - I remember in my mind him running from bad guys in them). I don't have the DVD here with me at school to check, but it was on TV a few months ago and they stood out for me against his otherwise subtle gray suit. (or maybe he'd been chased out of bed wearing a pair of slippers and socks?)

Jovan

Honors Member
As I said earlier, I think it's a matter of taste. An hourglass waist like that seems common on old fashioned English tailoring. (Although that suit isn't actually English at all.)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
mae_west_(1892-1980).jpg

His mother should have thrown him out and kept the stork.

Joe Frances

The suit doesn't look very well made; and the tie-to-lapel widths are off. Either the tie is too wide or the lapels are too narrow. The tie knot is dreadful. The pocket square isn't presented very well, and the color is wrong. The shirt isn't bad, but again, the collar length works to the tie width but not the lapels. It isn't far off, but not well proportioned.

Matt S

Connoisseur
And that was just on this afternoon so I had to watch it for that scene. :)
(my take was maybe he'd just come directly from the airport returning from abroad, hence the wearing a country suit in the city)

On a Bond-related question, in You Only Live Twice, does Bond wear a pair of very bold black/white spectators in Japan?
(either at the chemical company's office or on the docks - I remember in my mind him running from bad guys in them). I don't have the DVD here with me at school to check, but it was on TV a few months ago and they stood out for me against his otherwise subtle gray suit. (or maybe he'd been chased out of bed wearing a pair of slippers and socks?)

Bond had just come from Miami, so what he's wearing at the office sure wouldn't be appropriate there. The real reason for the country suit is that the majority of the suits in Goldfinger were made for the film he made right before it, Woman of Straw. That film mostly takes place in the country, where the houndstooth suit is very appropriate.

In You Only Live Twice, Bond wears black slip-on shoes with his black and white herringbone suit. He visits a man Henderson at his home and follows the Japanese custom of removing shoes at the door. Henderson is killed and Bond runs outside after the killer. Bond kills the man and takes his fedora, trench coat and shoes. The shoes are black and white and are similar to spectator shoes. They are slip-ons with elastic gussets on the side. Though they have the colour scheme of spectator shoes I'm not sure I would call this odd style a spectator.

Matt S

Connoisseur
In You Only Live Twice, Bond wears black slip-on shoes with his black and white herringbone suit. He visits a man Henderson at his home and follows the Japanese custom of removing shoes at the door. Henderson is killed and Bond runs outside after the killer. Bond kills the man and takes his fedora, trench coat and shoes. The shoes are black and white and are similar to spectator shoes. They are slip-ons with elastic gussets on the side. Though they have the colour scheme of spectator shoes I'm not sure I would call this odd style a spectator.

I've just posted an article about the shoes on my blog: https://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=3997

Jovan

Honors Member
The suit doesn't look very well made; and the tie-to-lapel widths are off. Either the tie is too wide or the lapels are too narrow. The tie knot is dreadful. The pocket square isn't presented very well, and the color is wrong. The shirt isn't bad, but again, the collar length works to the tie width but not the lapels. It isn't far off, but not well proportioned.

I mostly agree, though I don't give too much consideration to shirt collar length in regards to tie and lapel width. I just try to get collars that frame my face well and, if possible, have a taller stand for my slightly longer than average neck.

Stubbly

Stubby, what's the material content?

I don't know for sure, but probably wool. I seem to remember a base price of $500, with options for an additional cost. An OTR suit from Macy's would cost much less, and would look infinitely better.

No way, it looks like when Michael (from The Office) wore his girlfriend's suit to work.

Michael's "girl-suit" probably looked much better.

Last edited:

TSWalker

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Stubby, what's the material content?

Fabric: 100 % Australian Merino Wool
Super 120’s
Fabric Weight: 260gms/m

The Charcoal suit is a timeless piece for your collection. Textured materials tend to bestow a more luxurious appeal. This custom suit is the one that is always in vogue. The super 120's fabric is souced from one of the finest English mills where its woven using 100% Australian merino wool. This suit is fit for every occasion.
Pair it with a crisp solid shirt and patterned tie and you won’t go wrong with this one.
- See more at: https://www.buttonsnthreads.com/shop-details/suits/charcoal-two-piece/#sthash.W5yyuHy1.dpuf

(Not fixing their typo... you'd have to be soused to wear this).

crocto

A poor fit is currently fashionable. Current fashions have made it possible for companies to save a lot of money in ways that people don't notice. Many fashionable brands have done away with short and long sizes, and are just making everything like a short. That means they can save a lot of money by using less cloth because a tall man now can wear a short suit and be fashionable. A tight fit is also fashionable, and it doesn't matter if it pulls and creases.

Today's shorts are not short at all. Most "shorts" are still too long for me. Though I'm a mere 5' 3" so I'd imagine this happening anyway.

Stubbly

Fabric: 100 % Australian Merino Wool
Super 120’s
Fabric Weight: 260gms/m

The Charcoal suit is a timeless piece for your collection. Textured materials tend to bestow a more luxurious appeal. This custom suit is the one that is always in vogue. The super 120's fabric is souced from one of the finest English mills where its woven using 100% Australian merino wool. This suit is fit for every occasion.
Pair it with a crisp solid shirt and patterned tie and you won’t go wrong with this one.
- See more at: https://www.buttonsnthreads.com/shop-details/suits/charcoal-two-piece/#sthash.W5yyuHy1.dpuf

(Not fixing their typo... you'd have to be soused to wear this).

THAT'S IT!! I couldn't remember where I saw it.

Jovan

Honors Member
Yeah, I had seen that on TheFineYoungGentleman and it definitely changed my views. The only place that could really use work in terms of fit is at his lower back (and the sleeve length, which he noted), but I believe he's said that this a problem place in many of his jackets. Not sure what he needs to do to fix it. I do agree with him that a straight lapel hole and turning fabric over the back collar felt would improve things.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us.

filbert_turtle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I would be very impressed with any vendor that explains not only the strengths of their products but also the compromises made in order to make it affordable. I realize this would only help sales in a very small, informed market (i.e., us, probably) but I'd nonetheless be sold by some honesty in advertising.

Or, at least, I'd appreciate knowing why some of these things are good. Why do I want my shirt cut by hand? It seems like this is something I would actually want to be done by computer. And what are "finest quality" buttons? I have seen very thick and very thin MOP buttons; finished and unfinished backs; even color and swirled; smooth beveled rims and flat, sharp ones. I'd rather see pictures.

I'm just being difficult, though. Good on you for stepping in and responding to (potential) customers. You'll find this forum represents a small but outspoken and surprisingly influential group (AAAF dominates Google queries).

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^(Referring to post #25) While I cannot speak for any of the other guys participating in these fora,
I do not recall ever being shaped like that, even in my younger, more athletic days! LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange