duckbill

I don't check in much, but this has changed a LOT since I was last here!

It looks like there's very little traffic now and most of the people whose posts I used to read (Patrick, 32rollandrock, tonylumpkin, tweedydon, JoeTradly) have gone.

And what's with all the ads?!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I'm still here but I ran out of things to say.
Not true as I enjoyed your post today about your first pair of khakis.
I agree with Fading Fast. The most interesting information is the personal anecdote. And since no two people are alike, a story of one’s own experiences will always be fresh to other people. Sure, I know about khakis and their different fits. But what Patrick just related about HIS first pair of khakis was brand-new to me.

When you think you’ve exhausted a topic, put a whole new spin on it by getting personal. Go from the general to the specific, and you’ll have an audience.

A non-clothing example: Let’s say you took a bike journey through Vietnam (pre-pandemic). If you get out your phone and show me a ton of photos of touristy areas, I’m bored. Hurry up already. I can see that stuff on the Internet. But if you put away the phone and tell me about the people YOU met and the unusual food YOU ate and the hotels in which YOU stayed, I’m hooked.

That’s why Patrick’s comment was so interesting to me. He provided unique information about a much-discussed subject.

Last edited:

TKI67

It is quite different. I actually enjoy the posts on red meat, pasta, vintage cars, movies, and coffee more than the waning posts on clothing. It is nice that the sharing comes from folk with shared values and sensibilities. I have tried to strike up a few conversations on clothing, but there does not seem to be much new to talk about other than PSAs and the changes at Brooks, which I peg to the mid 1980s, a long time ago to be talking about it still!

I suppose that is as it ought to be, given that the only differences between my wardrobe in the mid 1960s and today are sizing and brands, shifting from Lacoste polos to O'Connell's, Sperry Kudus to Quoddy Maliseets, Gant shirts to Gitman's unfused, Weejuns to Alden LHS, and a few others. My preferred colors and pairings, even the cuts, are unchanged. Some of the changes are in label only, like Brooks suits and jackets to Southwicks and Brooks tassels to Alden tassels.

It is a small pond that rarely ripples. So, what are you drinking, eating, reading, driving, dreaming about, or watching today?

smmrfld

My sense is that this site lost visitors in droves when several members were allowed to post vile, misogynistic, embarrassing posts repeatedly over several years. Fortunately that has largely disappeared but the damage has been done. SEO changes also are a factor. Combine that with the knowledge base available on highly-popular sites like Styleforum for virtually every sartorial topic, and, well...here you are.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
this site lost visitors in droves when several members were allowed to post vile, misogynistic, embarrassing posts repeatedly over several years.
Agree 100%

Fortunately that has largely disappeared
I'm very happy to hear you say that, as it has taken considerable effort to encourage civility and kindness over the last 2-3 years. Your continued contributions & participation are much appreciated as well.

Combine that with the knowledge base available on highly-popular sites like Styleforum for virtually every sartorial topic
Now that we've weeded out the majority (or all) of the bad actors, and working continually to try to improve the visiting and community experience here, do you have any suggestions as to how we could re-introduce our community to those who may enjoy sharing their sartorial knowledge here?

Howard

Connoisseur
Agree 100%

I'm very happy to hear you say that, as it has taken considerable effort to encourage civility and kindness over the last 2-3 years. Your continued contributions & participation are much appreciated as well.

Now that we've weeded out the majority (or all) of the bad actors, and working continually to try to improve the visiting and community experience here, do you have any suggestions as to how we could re-introduce our community to those who may enjoy sharing their sartorial knowledge here?

Maybe or perhaps you could send them emails?

TKI67

I stopped posting when I decided to go 100% wash and wear.
My Trad uniform in the COVID era is unironed khakis and unironed OCBDs or T shirts or polos with unironed shorts. Some days I am in my sweats until ten! The only things that get ironed are napkins and handkerchiefs.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur

It looks like there's very little traffic now and most of the people whose posts I used to read (Patrick, 32rollandrock, tonylumpkin, tweedydon, JoeTradly) have gone.
I was going to say everyone you listed is in prison but then I realized Patrick posted.
And what's with all the ads?!
Did you have to pay a fee to join this site? I didn't and I'm sure you didn't either. Operating this site isn't free, so who pays for it? Andy and his team have to pay for it, hence ads to bring in revenue.

TKI67

I was going to say everyone you listed is in prison but then I realized Patrick posted.

Did you have to pay a fee to join this site? I didn't and I'm sure you didn't either. Operating this site isn't free, so who pays for it? Andy and his team have to pay for it, hence ads to bring in revenue.
Plus some of them are kind of cool.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back!

Andy & I have indeed made many changes to the site, including:
  • Implemented a Civility & Kindness directive
  • Moved the Trad Exchange to its own dedicated section
  • Introduced Official Threads for our advertising partners
  • Try and run contests regularly to give back to the community
  • Engage with our community on Facebook
  • Made many site usability and user experience (UX/UI) improvements
  • Upgraded to the latest forum platform technology, which provides push notifications, a great mobile experience, and tons of other features
  • Building out helpful content in the article section of our site
  • & Even more to come!
Google has indeed been angry with us. As such, we've lost visitors over the last couple of years, with some updates being a bit more devastating than others. We're trying to get back in Google's good graces, and I believe it's starting to work.

While I can't promise to change the ad experience (that's how we make money to support the site), I'm always open to hear suggestions on ways we can improve the community experience.

Again, welcome back! We hope to see you back here often :)

Operating this site isn't free, so who pays for it? Andy and his team have to pay for it, hence ads to bring in revenue.
Many thanks for your support!

TKI67

This may be FUBAR, but it would be interesting to know how members view various advertisers. There are some businesses whose ads I welcome and others who are less so. There are, as has been noted, wonderful trad sources without the ability to offer top end sites. It would be neat if they advertised here!

fishertw

Advanced Member
Speaking about past members, does anyone know anything about "Jamgood"? He was one of the most knowledgable members on this site and seemed to have a depth of knowledge about the origins and demise of many clothiers and manufacturers.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
tda003 is missed as well...

I never check the adverts....

Among the postings I regularly check, the activity is mostly limited to 3-4 moderator/regulars.

Given my limited time now with 3 separate income areas/business I manage, my lurking time on AAAC has been rather limited as of late.

Cheers,

BSR

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.