mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
it would be interesting to know how members view various advertisers.
We do have stats on how many clicks certain ads get, and can see trends in what type of content/links members (and visitors) interact with most often.

Some of the ads shown here are what we refer to as "demand network" ads. They aren't specifically style/accessory brands, they are dynamically shown based on the actual visitor and the page being visited. You and I may see entirely different ads. We don't have any visibility into how visitors interact with those ads.

There are, as has been noted, wonderful trad sources without the ability to offer top end sites. It would be neat if they advertised here!
Could you provide some examples? I'm not quite clear on who those brands might be.

longwing

I was just enjoying the new J Press “brochure” this morning and decided I should check In. My wife used to do a lot of eye rolling at my trad interests but I’ve been letting things slide lately and now she would like me to return to the trad ASAP.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
This may be FUBAR, but it would be interesting to know how members view various advertisers. There are some businesses whose ads I welcome and others who are less so. There are, as has been noted, wonderful trad sources without the ability to offer top end sites. It would be neat if they advertised here!
I'm simply unmoved by display advertising; I never click on it.

I have bought *many* things as a result of following AAAC, but it's been in response to forum posters recommending and reviewing things (usually just casually, not "advertising" posts).

For example, Flanderian extolled the virtues of Tori Richard's cotton lawn shirts, and I now own 20 (+/-): Flanderian, I hope TR has cut you a check? You're an influencer! ;)

I can't think of everything offhand, but it's safe to say AAAC has driven thousands in sales for me alone; just shows the power of organic, third-party recommendation.

DH

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

I have bought *many* things as a result of following AAAC, but it's been in response to forum posters recommending and reviewing things (usually just casually, not "advertising" posts).

For example, Flanderian extolled the virtues of Tori Richard's cotton lawn shirts, and I now own 20 (+/-): Flanderian, I hope TR has cut you a check? You're an influencer! ;)

I can't think of everything offhand, but it's safe to say AAAC has driven thousands in sales for me alone; just shows the power of organic, third-party recommendation.

DH
I'd struggle to remember all the items that I've bought because of AAAC. Just one example was an O'Connell's Shetland sweater which @oxford cloth button down inspired me to purchase. He was so right that I ended up buying two.

And yes, that darn Flanderian and his incredible taste has cost me plenty of money. It's amazing how many smaller / niche companies I've learned about from AAAC.

TKI67

DH
I generally agree, but the way SWNE shows featured things from advertisers like Mercer, Bosie, and Cordings has grabbed my interest. It got me to thinking about some of the small Trad retailers like Hunter & Coggins and Eljo's. It would seem to be nice for them to share select products and nice for Trads, who would otherwise be largely unaware of them.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Could you point me to an example of this? Very curious to see how they feature brands in a way that grabs your interest.

For those interested, we recently wrote an article about Salt Water New England.
That's a good article.

Mike, as a great example of how SWNE features a brand, check out the site today as it highlights a Magee coat at Cordings that has me considering it. I even used the pics (and credited SWNE) in our Tweed thread this morning. She knows how to make an item look wonderful.

I've looked at Magee coats before and have been very close to ordering one, but seeing it look so good in the SWNE pics has me considering it one more time. I just own too many overcoats that don't get enough use to justify it, but still...

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
as a great example of how SWNE features a brand, check out the site today as it highlights a Magee coat at Cordings
I see what you mean. Funny thing is -- it's simply a brief article -- and instead of showing only an image & excerpt on the homepage, they show either the whole article or at least a large part of it.

Of course her photography and storytelling plays a big part in how she makes it look compelling.

Looks like Cordings is an advertiser on the site (I see a banner ad, and them mentioned in "Product Suppliers"). Maybe as part of their advertising relationship, SWNE/Muffy agrees to do short write-ups on products if the brand sends her a sample?

Similarly, we have the opportunity to feature products from our advertising partners. We've done similar product collabs with them, like these:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/edward-james-rushton-boot-review/
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/trickers-stow-country-boot-review/ (by @RogerP)

We are happy to feature products from our partners, but our biggest challenge is lack of bandwidth to do product features (photography, write-up, etc.). We do have a couple of writers, one of which is really good at photography & doing product features. But his time is limited, and there is a hard-cost to us as well (we pay writers).

Andy & I aren't really in a position where we can do that kind of stuff personally. So, we either have to find/pay people to help us, or see if any of our community members would volunteer to receive a free sample product and take photos and do a write-up.

Do you think any community members here in Trad would like to volunteer for something like that? If so, who?

TKI67

I see what you mean. Funny thing is -- it's simply a brief article -- and instead of showing only an image & excerpt on the homepage, they show either the whole article or at least a large part of it.

Of course her photography and storytelling plays a big part in how she makes it look compelling.

Looks like Cordings is an advertiser on the site (I see a banner ad, and them mentioned in "Product Suppliers"). Maybe as part of their advertising relationship, SWNE/Muffy agrees to do short write-ups on products if the brand sends her a sample?

Similarly, we have the opportunity to feature products from our advertising partners. We've done similar product collabs with them, like these:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/edward-james-rushton-boot-review/
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/trickers-stow-country-boot-review/ (by @RogerP)

We are happy to feature products from our partners, but our biggest challenge is lack of bandwidth to do product features (photography, write-up, etc.). We do have a couple of writers, one of which is really good at photography & doing product features. But his time is limited, and there is a hard-cost to us as well (we pay writers).

Andy & I aren't really in a position where we can do that kind of stuff personally. So, we either have to find/pay people to help us, or see if any of our community members would volunteer to receive a free sample product and take photos and do a write-up.

Do you think any community members here in Trad would like to volunteer for something like that? If so, who?
Or you could develop a template for an advertiser to use...a nice photo group, one in a natural setting, one up close to show fabric, etc. Add up to x number of words and a link to your website to purchase.

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
Or you could develop a template for an advertiser to use
Possibly. Though I've found that true content creators (like Mufffy) are much better at storytelling and creating visuals than brands. Definitely something to keep in mind though.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I was going to say everyone you listed is in prison but then I realized Patrick posted.

Did you have to pay a fee to join this site? I didn't and I'm sure you didn't either. Operating this site isn't free, so who pays for it? Andy and his team have to pay for it, hence ads to bring in revenue.
They let us use a 10 year old iPad every other week. Whoops, gotta go, guard's coming

never behind

I'd struggle to remember all the items that I've bought because of AAAC. Just one example was an O'Connell's Shetland sweater which @oxford cloth button down inspired me to purchase. He was so right that I ended up buying two.

And yes, that darn Flanderian and his incredible taste has cost me plenty of money. It's amazing how many smaller / niche companies I've learned about from AAAC.
Probably 80% of my wardrobe is from brands/products rec’d by posters here.

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I got tired of getting flamed every time I posted anything.
Thank you so much for sharing that. I'm so sorry that happened to you here.

Indeed we did have some bad actors here for a while that would have a negative-first attitude. We have banned many of the worst offenders and have instituted a Civility & Kindness directive.

We'd love to have you back, and participate more often again.

I also encourage you to contact me personally if you experience any "unnecessary roughness" from any member. We want to make Ask Andy a fun, educational, & enjoyable online community.

You can also see many of the other things we have been doing, and will continue to do here:
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/threads/building-a-better-ask-andy.243158/

Troones

I can also tell that the civility and kindness directive is paying off. I often find older threads (many years old) when I'm searching the site and its amazing how many posts would be members complaining that more junior members were posting too much! As if to say that a junior member of the forum had no knowledge to share. It happened to me once since I've been a member, but that's it.

TKI67

I can also tell that the civility and kindness directive is paying off. I often find older threads (many years old) when I'm searching the site and its amazing how many posts would be members complaining that more junior members were posting too much! As if to say that a junior member of the forum had no knowledge to share. It happened to me once since I've been a member, but that's it.
I think it is wonderful to see new members, especially younger ones on the Trad Style Forum. Hope you are well, @Troones!

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I can also tell that the civility and kindness directive is paying off.
Thank you for sharing that. It means a lot to myself and Andy to hear that.

It's been a TON of effort to improve the site & the community experience, and weeding out the bad actors. But, I feel we're moving in the right direction.

In a world where so many focus on the negative, we want Ask Andy to be that trusted place where people can get away from the negativity, and have an enjoyable place to sit back, relax, learn, and help others.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.