duckbill

I understand the need for ads but there's so many of them--roughly 1/3 of my screen is ads. Plus, several of their placements either scroll through multiple ads (on the right hand side of the screen) or else the ads are flashing constantly (in the middle of the thread and at the bottom of the screen.) This makes visiting here rather unpleasant.

I do appreciate the discussion of organic advertising, above. I don't like SWNE very much--it's lovely, but seems very fake and faux-organic. I used to like An Affordable Wardrobe, and bought items as a result of that. But that seems to have gone. The Ivy Style FB page has had the same effect on me when well-known members do write-ups of stuff they like, as does The Fedora Lounge. The Facebook pages Talking Tweed and WaterhollowTweed have good articles too and have moved me to buy things they feature.

Writing this I've realized that all of the people that influence me are hobbyists--and very knowledgeable ones. So, I'm not sure how this would translate into having someone write articles on things for advertisers.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
@duckbill - thank you very much for your insights. Very helpful!

Regarding the ads, I'd say there are two legitimate options:
1. You install an ad-blocker and set it to block ads here on our site
or
2. We offer members a paid ad-free experience. For example, charge $5/month on subscription to have an ad-free experience. This wouldn't be very hard for us to implement if that is any interest to members here

The cheap and quick way for you to avoid ads would be doing #1.

Happy to hear any feedback you may have on either of those options.

duckbill

@duckbill - thank you very much for your insights. Very helpful!

Regarding the ads, I'd say there are to legitimate options:
1. You install an ad-blocker and set it to block ads here on our site
or
2. We offer members a paid ad-free experience. For example, charge $5/month on subscription to have an ad-free experience. This wouldn't be very hard for us to implement if that is any interest to members here

The cheap and quick way for you to avoid ads would be doing #1.

Happy to hear any feedback you may have on either of those options.
Offering (2) would be a good idea!

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
@duckbill - do you want to be the first to try it out? If so, I can send you a link to subscribe to the $5/month Premium Member plan, and we can see how it works. LMK :)

Charles Dana

Honors Member
What’s this?!

For the past couple of days a large ad has been appearing on the right side of my screen—it’s a close-up of some guy’s pimply/rash-infested armpit. The ad wants to alert me to the presence of some disease. I think. It’s one of the most disgusting, stomach-turning photographs I’ve ever seen. I attempt to ignore it but it’s so big that it’s in the periphery of my vision no matter how hard I try.

I don’t know why I’m getting that ad, since I have never used my computer to google armpits or rashes or zits. (Armpits and rashes and zits, oh my!)

It’s the pits. Make it go away.

(And no, I won’t pay a monthly charge to avoid the torture of seeing a diseased armpit when I come to this website.)

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I don’t know why I’m getting that ad
When you see the ad next, can you please take a full screenshot using the PrintScreen button, and either:
1. Post a new thread in The Interchange with the screenshot, and @ tag me
or
2. PM me directly with it

I'd like to see what you're seeing to determine what may be the cause. There has been one other rouge ad popping up here and there, and we have a way to debug the issue. But first, I'd like to see the ad you're seeing so we can determine next steps. We've got the technology :)

Also, you can always report & block certain types of ads from showing, if you click the button in the upper right of the ad - as shown here by the arrow.
1603723818647.png

Keep me posted.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I now get ads asking me if I don't want any ads!
Ha, that's just a one-time notice to let members know about the new capability. We've had many requests for it, so we decided it was time to offer the option.

Once you dismiss that notice, it won't show again. (or will it...🤔)

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Mikel, thank you. I haven’t seen the nauseating advertisement yet today—I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I don’t see it again.

Your reference to rogue ads might be spot on. In retrospect, the ad could not have been on the level—I wouldn’t be surprised if some prankster/hacker figured out a way to screw with this website for jollies.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I haven’t seen the nauseating advertisement yet today—I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I don’t see it again.
Good to hear. Keep me posted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some prankster/hacker figured out a way to screw with this website for jollies
Not on my watch ;)

We're locked down pretty tight now, thanks to the efforts of @Todo10. But there is a chance some rouge ads come through. Our current demand ad network partner is one of the best, and most respected in the industry. They run a pretty tight ship, but there's always a chance.

Another member saw a rouge hispanic McDonalds pop-up ad last week, which was completely unexpected. So, we've got some debug in place just in case it happens again.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.