WSJ on Nantucket Reds

fishertw

Elite Member
I have both a sweatshirt and a work shirt from them. A little less "go to hell" but both are really high quality items of clothing.

drpeter

As with a lot of American clothing, Nantucket Reds originated elsewhere. This time it is Brittany, in France. They were, and likely still are, called Breton Reds (or maybe Bretons Rouges?). But for Americans, they are associated strongly with Nantucket. Read on:

I have several pairs of trousers and shorts in various shades of this colour. I especially like the way they fade with washing and wearing. They go with a variety of colours -- my favourite ensemble is its combination with a dark blue shirt, Tshirt or polo.

O'Connell's calls them Breton Reds:

drpeter

Et voici est la chose authentique, the real, real thing, the stuff those Breton fishermen wore made form sailcloth. Pantalon des marins pêcheurs Bretons en coton brique for about 65 Euros:

drpeter

I ordered a pair of M Crest Nantucket Reds from Murray's Toggery. These are their US-made line, and are cut traditionally without the tight-fitting legs. The makers are Corbin, many of whose classically cut trousers and jackets I have in my wardrobe. I spoke with one of the Murray people, and he was very helpful in answering all of my questions. They will come unfinished, so that I can do the cuffs with my own tailor.

The other pair I got some time ago were Breton Reds from Bill's Khakis. They have worked out beautifully, and are beginning to fade nicely. I would like to get a pair from Le Glazik, but it is unclear to me whether their trousers are cut close to the body with tight-fitting legs, or whether they have a more traditional, straight-leg model.

Last edited:

drpeter

Just received the Nantucket Reds from Murray's. Perfect fit overall, except for the unfinished trouser legs, which I will get done at my tailor's tomorrow. The colour is as I had expected, a little less than the Breton Reds from Bill's. Now I am seriously thinking of the Bretons from O'Connell's.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
Just received the Nantucket Reds from Murray's. Perfect fit overall, except for the unfinished trouser legs, which I will get done at my tailor's tomorrow. The colour is as I had expected, a little less than the Breton Reds from Bill's. Now I am seriously thinking of the Bretons from O'Connell's.
I only wish I lived in a world where multiple pairs of reds could be used! At the rate my sole pair is being worn my estate can sell them as "like new." (I am assuming none of my heirs would wear Nanny reds or any of the other sartorial horrors in my closet.)

drpeter

I only wish I lived in a world where multiple pairs of reds could be used! At the rate my sole pair is being worn my estate can sell them as "like new." (I am assuming none of my heirs would wear Nanny reds or any of the other sartorial horrors in my closet.)
LOL, Are we the same size? Probably not. (I am five-seven, 155 lbs, jacket size 40R, trouser waist 33"-34", inseam 29.5"). But if we are, I'll take one or two of the items your heirs might not want! Just a little humour on a nice summer's day up here in gorgeous Wisconsin.

I wear all these clothes I have regardless of company or circumstance. I wore pink trousers and a dark blue polo shirt to a dinner last week, to celebrate the birthday of one of my oldest friends, a cranky Irish fellow who turned eighty. Everyone remarked on these -- they were not Nannies or Bretons, just a light shade of pink, a hue that is a bit more reddish than Army pinks of WWII fame. So I said, why not? After all boys wore pink and girls wore sky blue, way back at the beginning of the last century (at least in the US). And wouldn't you know it, the discussion turned to the variety of genders we now have, and the various perspectives people take on them, all the way from the supernal to the preposterous. My pink pants provoked such a good, enjoyable discussion! I can't afford not to wear these togs.

I draw the line at critter pants, though. As Gershwin says, it's not for me, thank you.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
LOL, Are we the same size? Probably not. (I am five-seven, 155 lbs, jacket size 40R, trouser waist 33"-34", inseam 29.5"). But if we are, I'll take one or two of the items your heirs might not want! Just a little humour on a nice summer's day up here in gorgeous Wisconsin.

I wear all these clothes I have regardless of company or circumstance. I wore pink trousers and a dark blue polo shirt to a dinner last week, to celebrate the birthday of one of my oldest friends, a cranky Irish fellow who turned eighty. Everyone remarked on these -- they were not Nannies or Bretons, just a light shade of pink, a hue that is a bit more reddish than Army pinks of WWII fame. So I said, why not? After all boys wore pink and girls wore sky blue, way back at the beginning of the last century (at least in the US). And wouldn't you know it, the discussion turned to the variety of genders we now have, and the various perspectives people take on them, all the way from the supernal to the preposterous. My pink pants provoked such a good, enjoyable discussion! I can't afford not to wear these togs.

I draw the line at critter pants, though. As Gershwin says, it's not for me, thank you.
Close...probably about 5'9". 41/35, 150 pounds. 28.5 inseam.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange