penguinstyle

Starting Member
Hi all, lately I've thought a lot about watches as a complement to an outfit (or actually to the whole appearance). There are so many different types of wrist watches and I’m always keen on finding the one model that fits my personality and completes my style.

I have recently seen a very nice 24 hour watch – simple but elegant, timeless and still well structured, which matches my character (or so I want to believe at least. :p). On the other hand, I have never used a 24 hour watch before and since it is a bit pricey (for my taste), I wanted to ask you about your opinion and experiences with 24 hour or other special watches.

Have you bought one before, are they easy to read (or get used to) and are you, in general, openminded about “special” watches?

And since I am curious – do you own several ones to match them with your current outfit?
Thanks for your replies - have a great and day!

Last edited by a moderator:

stewartu

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I bought a 24 hour watch for my son as a christmas present a couple of years ago. He was into it and wanted one. I think he found it too inconvenient to wear. I think it was just confusing all the time. At any rate it doesn't get worn.

As for nice watches, I have a few Rolex watches and a Tudor. I wear one of these at all times. It is nice to have a luxurious timepiece.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I have one watch, which is a Rolex Sea-Dweller. I suppose it would be considered "special".

I bought it in 1994 (I think it was $3800), and I bought it for a reason: at the time, I was doing a lot of scientific field work which took me to some pretty inhospitable places (Antarctica, deserts, mountains, the odd jungle or two), and I was just chewing through watches. So I decided to get the most ludicrous, over-engineered and durable watch I could find, and that was the Sea-Dweller. We have had many adventures, and it's good as new (although with a decently scratched up oyster bracelet, courtesy, mostly, of rock climbing). I've never babied it or treated it like a "nice" watch - it's a working watch.

I have little need to replace it; probably it will be unbuckled and slipped off my dead arm when my saga ends (and hopefully given to my daughter in a ziploc bag... she likes it!)

That said, I actually consider myself "a watch guy". I *like* watches. It's just that accumulation runs counter to my semi-minimalism, and also the understanding that I'm never going to alternate watches; I will always wear my favorite. And yes, I happily wear my Sea-Dweller with suits, black tie, whatever (to my wife's occasional disapproval.)

IF - and it's a very theoretical if - I ever add a watch, it will be one of three, two of which are "special", and one not.

1. Breguet: I don't know the exact model, but not a very fussy one. Classic, storied watch. The "watchmaker's watch" as it's sometimes called. My wife wants me to get one (it's way more elegant than a Rolex), so it's an easy sell.
2. An Apple Watch. Meh. I can track my heart rate cycling I guess. My wife thinks I should get one to analyze my sleep. Yes, my wife makes a lot of suggestions; she means well!
3. Zenith Defy Lab: okay, this is my cup of tea. Yes, it's gawdawful ugly as all get-out. It's also the most precision-engineered, accurate mechanical watch in existence. I am a sucker for clever engineering, and this is it. They are comically expensive (I say this as someone potentially in the market for a Breguet); you can drop six figures on one, easily. Pretty special, I guess!

A 24 hour watch? Not for me... it feels too gimicky for something I'll wear for decades and decades, which to me is kind of the real "mark" of a Special Watch.

My Dad has been wearing his Omega for 60 years. My Mom got it for him as a present the first Christmas they were married. Well, okay, at some point I'll have an old Omega, I guess... hopefully not for a very long time! But that's a watch which has some stories to tell; "special", indeed.

DH

Mute

Start easy and do your homework. As suggested, this is a VERY deep rabbit hole. Before you know it, you'll be buying watches with tourbillons and chimes and there goes your wallet.

EclecticSr.

Special? To some I guess it means cost, to others name recognition, others eye candy.
I own perhaps 30 odd pieces, nothing in the range of say $10- 15 K.
The one special piece for me is the one my wife gifted me on my 40th. birthday, a solid gold Longines inscribed to commemorate the day, 40 years ago. I have other solid gold watches but none are as dear to me or as special.
That's my idea of special.

TKI67

Advanced Member
I have three watches. Two were gifts, and one was inherited. There is a very basic stainless steel Rolex Oyster I got in 1967 to mark graduation from high school. I wear striped nylon bands with it, and it is my choice for any outfit short of a suit. My wife gave me a gorgeous Chopard from Tiffany that is gold, very thin, has a very simple face with Roman numerals and a lizard strap, and is worn with suits other than a dinner suit. The inherited watch, a gold GP pocket watch, was my great grandfather's. It is perfect to stick in my pocket for evening clothes or golf. These three have been great companions and seem to cover all of the dressing bases other than working out. For that I tuck an iPhone into the waist band of my shorts in the small of my back, sweaty side to the Otter Box. I figure if I collapse, whoever finds me can use it to call ICE. 🤪

David J. Cooper

There has rarely been a day in my life that I haven’t worn a watch. I have not made the big purchase of a JLC or IWC because I have other obsessions (Wine, Champagne and an old roadster).

I have a Fredrique Constant dress watch and a Hamilton Pro Pilot that have been on the bench for a while. I wear a Hamilton Khaki on various NATO straps daily. I love it.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have three watches. Two were gifts, and one was inherited. There is a very basic stainless steel Rolex Oyster I got in 1967 to mark graduation from high school. I wear striped nylon bands with it, and it is my choice for any outfit short of a suit. My wife gave me a gorgeous Chopard from Tiffany that is gold, very thin, has a very simple face with Roman numerals and a lizard strap, and is worn with suits other than a dinner suit. The inherited watch, a gold GP pocket watch, was my great grandfather's. It is perfect to stick in my pocket for evening clothes or golf. These three have been great companions and seem to cover all of the dressing bases other than working out. For that I tuck an iPhone into the waist band of my shorts in the small of my back, sweaty side to the Otter Box. I figure if I collapse, whoever finds me can use it to call ICE. 🤪
I received a sterotypical pocket watch from my employer as a retirement gift. That and 2 wristwatches comprise what I use. None name brand. 1 wristwatch was bought in Sante Fe many years ago for the Zuni stone work on the cuff which is quite lovely. The other is a lowly Armitron in steel. It has a matching steel bracelet which I quite like.

penguinstyle

Starting Member
Wow, thanks a lot for all your answers!
Special? To some I guess it means cost, to others name recognition, others eye candy.
I own perhaps 30 odd pieces, nothing in the range of say $10- 15 K.
The one special piece for me is the one my wife gifted me on my 40th. birthday, a solid gold Longines inscribed to commemorate the day, 40 years ago. I have other solid gold watches but none are as dear to me or as special.
That's my idea of special.
With “special” I meant something not ordinary- a 24 hour watch or a very curious design, maybe different time zones displayed at the same time, an unique shape or a one hand watch. I don’t want to spend at Rolex level myself but I think a good watch should be your eh “companion” for a longer period of time so a certain level of quality is necessary.

I bought a 24 hour watch for my son as a christmas present a couple of years ago. He was into it and wanted one. I think he found it too inconvenient to wear. I think it was just confusing all the time. At any rate it doesn't get worn.

As for nice watches, I have a few Rolex watches and a Tudor. I wear one of these at all times. It is nice to have a luxurious timepiece.
Oh, that’s a pity that he hasn’t worn it a lot. I guess there are a lot of different designs that might make quite a difference. I have seen quite a lot of confusing watch dials already but some look (or seem at least) less confusing. But yes that’s the thing I’m afraid of as well, since I have only seen them online so far.
Quality watches are a deep rabbit hole. Best to join a watch forum and do a lot of reading before you spend.
Thanks for that piece of advice – I’ll do that too.

But since it seems that here are also some watch enthusiasts: Do you always try to view (or try) the model in real life before finally buying it? I mean unfortunately it is quite difficult over here in Austria at the moment to go to shops – our vaccination situation is still a bit tricky...... :/

peserico

Starting Member
I own three watches.. the first one was a gift from my father who loves German brands like Botta Design.

Afterwards I bought two more of them! I am really impressed by the design and functionality of those botta watches. I don't know if the brand is that popular worldwide, but you should definitely keep an eye on it.

Also they give you the option to order two watches to try them on at home and to resend the one you don't want to keep. Thats super easy and worked well for me. Probably helpful for you too since the situation in Austria might be kinda difficult at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.