£3300 for a jacket? Even Rubinacci? Outrageous!!

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
In that case Ramroop might be the finest Savile Row tailor.
Maybe, but all of William Westmancott's full bespoke tailored clothing is, again, also 99% hand sewn and 1% handmade machine sewn.

Truthfully though, no body on AAAC, LL and SF has experience with WW's full bespoke tailored clothing.

However, based on feedback from his customers on his website, WW seems to be on par with Andrew Ramroop, the three branches of Rubinacci and the all of the other five tailors (which would be William Fioravanti, Frank Shattuck, Tony Maurizio, Gianni Campagna and Liverano & Liverano) where all of their full bespoke tailored clothing is, again, 99% hand sewn and 1% handmade machine sewn. And better than Oxxford, where, again, all of their OTR, MTO and MTM tailored clothing is 95% hand sewn and 5% handmade machine sewn.

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
Yes, but the question is - does recession affect prices (in the original currency) or not? Will these enterprises accept working with lower margins (as many other businesses) or not?
No.

The only time there will be an increase is inflation, as we have seen the past few years, for example the cost of cloth.

Savile Row prices have stayed the same, although it means they make less profit from trips to America and Europe.

In times like this, some may be lucky with foreign clients spending more money because of the weaker pound. If I was in Europe or America, I would get a Savile Rowe bespoke suit now.

archduke

Mafoofan has posted pictures of various jackets on his blog.
The interesting thing for me was the lapel of, say Oxxford. Here the stitches were very obvious, whereas the artisan jackets had much more subtle work.

One question I have always asked is whether the appearance the hundreds of stitchs on the back of the lapel signals a better quality garment than one which has few- assuming both are SR bespoke. If someone can definitely tell me then I would be grtaeful.

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
According to Ramroop, he is the only one who still works to true Savile Row bespoke standards.
If Andrew Ramroop is making that claim, then he is simply unaware of the fact that there is one other SR tailor that works to true Savile Row bespoke standards. It is simply an honest mistake (but certainly NOT a lie or false advertising) on Ramroop’s part. No biggie.

Of course, false advertising is illegal in most or all countries (including the United States of America, which is the country that I live in, proudly and shamefully at the same time).

William Westmancott claims he is the one other Savile Row tailor who still works to true Savile Row bespoke standards. Westmancott does, however, acknowledge that he is certainly NOT the only SR tailor who still works to these SR standards. This is all stated somewhere on his website.

Obviously, Westmancott is clearly 100% aware of the fact that Ramroop still works to these SR standards as much as he does (no more, no less).

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
1. WW does not make his suits on Savile Row and that is the first requirement, so he can never work to true Savile Row bespoke standards

2. I am fan of Ramroop's work; however, I disagree with him on this point. As that would mean the likes of Gieves & Hawkes, Huntsman, Richard Anderson, Henry Poole, Dege & Skinner and Anderson & Sheppard do not work to true Savile Row standards.

He does not advertise this (I would take that as a big hint) but mentioned it when he talked his company. Maybe it is more to do with his annoyance with the SRBA.

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
Toryboy what is the average prize for a bespoke suit made by Andrew Ramroop?
They say about 80% of the suits made on The Row are the basic prices. Maurice Sedwell suits start at £3k + vat (15%) so £3450.

Most people on the The Row start at about that much, although Dege & Skinner start at £2515 + vat (£2893).

TheGuyIsBack

Suspended
OK thanks. So how do you feel about the suit. It looks 'American' to my sense. Shoulders look pretty robust too. Do you categorize this as a typical Savile type of suit?