“Cocktail Attire” … Definition?

joshuagb

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Tennessee
Nashville
I disagree.

If the event warrants an invitation that reads 'cocktail dress' or similar, it means suit and tie. If a friend has invited you around for drinks or cocktails, then a jacket would be fine and a suit would probably be overdoing it.
+1 Exactly. Cocktail attire always means suit and tie. Dark suit.

philm

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Well, it was a gift to you, you should have no qualms about keeping it. The composer wouldn't have given it to you if s/he didn't want you to have it. Given the tax considerations around charitable donations, I likely would have said something to the effect that I was honored to have received the score as a gift and just wanted to enjoy that moment. Pretty cheeky to ask for the donation right there, if you ask me -- it sounds like it definitely took away from the moment, and that's a shame.
+1...

jackmccullough

Honors Member
United States
Vermont
Montpelier
I agree that the department chair was out of line in making the request. You have no obligation to comply. You are free to do whatever you want with it: keep it, pass it along to your heirs, donate it to a museum or other institution (or place it with them on a long-term loan), or even sell it, although that would probably be tacky. Under the circumstances, the last thing I would do is give it to the department of the guy who requested it.

Gurdon

United States
California
Forestville
Wear a dark suit and keep the score.

What was the music?

Regards,

Gurdon

DougNZ

Advanced Member
New Zealand
Hawkes Bay
Hastings
Incidentally, what is everyone's opinion on a suitable shirt for "cocktail attire"?

Rossini

Honors Member
Aaland
Dunno
Dunno
White or light blue crisp light cotton (e.g. poplin), collar not to spread, double-cuff. Not oxford cloth, herringbone or heavy twill. No button-down.

Timbo

Starting Member
Australia
NSW
Sydney
White or light blue crisp light cotton (e.g. poplin), collar not to spread, double-cuff. Not oxford cloth, herringbone or heavy twill. No button-down.
Double cuff? As in French cuffs?
I would not, unless I was already wearing them from the daytime.

I do however concur with the suggestion of white or light blue, and with no button-down.