“Life expectancy” of your clothing?

Omega

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Great Britain
England
City
I have just read one of previous topics http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68176&highlight=leather+gloves where the author asks about how many items forum readers have. I calculated that an average forum user has much more clothing items than I do - I see from my calculations that an average forum reader who has replied to that topic has:
Suits – 14
Jackets – 9
Trousers – 29
Shirts – 50
Shoes – 26
However, I suspect your body shape may change quicker than your clothing becomes unusable, or you may get bored from your clothing, or something else happens that you stop wearing your old clothing.
Therefore, I got a curiosity question: how long do you usually use your clothing before you stop using it? If you could also mention how many years you use them and how frequently, I think it might help many other readers to work out how to spend their money best way on the clothing.
Thank you,

GBR

In most instances:

Suits can last forever but it is more likely that they will cease to fit or else bore me. They do not wear out although one or two favourites can be altered.

Trousers - strictly boredom but hey can remain because I may change my mind.

Everything else boredom rules.

i have never had anything wear out for 30 years.

Will

Honors Member
United States
Ca
San francisco
If you have enough it doesn't wear out and you don't get bored with it.

And the definition of enough is that you don't get bored with it.

Alexander Kabbaz

Tech and Business Advice Guru
United States
New York
East Hampton

+1 ... except that I insist upon retiring my shirts after the 200th laundering. It's a "respect" thing. ;)

rip

Advanced Member

My goal is to have enough of everything so that I wear nothing twice in a given season.

kolecho

I have heard of people buying up to 6 trousers for staple bespoke suits, like grey and navy, to prolong the use of their suit jackets. Lots of variation in appearance can be achieved by shirts and tie combination when wearing a suit. Those who get bored need not apply.

rip

Advanced Member
A man with 300 suits!
That seems about right; a few crossovers for those transitional seasons between winter and spring, summer and fall. I figure I can put a cot in the kitchen and convert the living room and dining room into closets; I've already done that to the bedroom ;)

Will

Honors Member
United States
Ca
San francisco
I have heard of people buying up to 6 trousers for staple bespoke suits, like grey and navy, to prolong the use of their suit jackets. Lots of variation in appearance can be achieved by shirts and tie combination when wearing a suit. Those who get bored need not apply.
I've never understood that practice. But then, I've never worn out a pair of suit trousers ahead of the jacket.

yachtie

Advanced Member
I've never understood that practice. But then, I've never worn out a pair of suit trousers ahead of the jacket.
+1 I leave my jacket on during the day so in practice it wears out at about the same time as the pants. Elbows usually go first.