“The move towards much lighter clothing represents a big step forward for Savile Row"

Pipps

Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
"Crease resistant fabrics"? I would like to know what those are. Let me guess... wool?

and...

“The fact is that everybody wants an easier life now and doesn’t want to feel hampered by what they wear." How does an 'easier life' equate to lighter-weight suitings? What nonsense.

It is rather sad to hear a Savile Row figurehead speak such mindless waffle for a newspaper.

Still, interesting article. And nice to see. Thanks for the link!

andreyb

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Russian Federation
Moscow
Moscow
When all this seemingly unending stream of articles on Savile Row "reinventing itself" will finally come to end?

Andrey

Eustace Tilley

This just seems like just another one of Kilgour's "we're young! we're hip! - not like the other fogeys on the Row" tactics.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
United States
California
Long Beach
I am I missing something, but how is a properly tailored, hand-canvassed garment going to be "heavy, stiff and uncomfortable," and how does full lining add to discomfort except in the hottest weather?

Unless I am very off-base, I would shun any tailor who spouted something like this like the plague!

omairp

It's nothing revolutionary, even the article admits that other designers and tailors have tried it before, and of course there's alot of spin on it. But the idea is still good, makes suits lighter and more comfortable, and maybe people will be inclined to wear them more.

a tailor

Honors Member
if they are pushing this hard, could it be that the row is in trouble?

55 years ago when i was learning we made the curved shoulder they speak of.
and new customers would comment that they could not "feel"the shoulders.
that is after wearing ready to wears.
american tailors have long since used that extra panel called the side body.
the piping mentioned was done away with long ago and hand cross stitched seam
edge replaced it. this being softer and lighter. you can spot this type of seams
in an oxxford.

Pipps

Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
I cannot 'feel' the shoulders in my Savile Row suits. The shoulders of my suit are certainly not soft. They are classic english shoulders. So is it just me, or is it that I do not care whether or not I feel the shoulders?

For me, the best part of a tailored suit jacket is the wonderful feeling of the curved silhouette hugging my kidneys. Rather like the bucket seat of a sports car.

I find this kind of accurate construction assists my modern lifestyle, rather than hamper it.

What a silly article.