smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton
The Wicked Eye in San Ramon, CA. Concrete floors, bar on the perimeter, and a single brass pole in the middle of the room. Good times, good times.

smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton
Not confused, but was certainly better than the Applebee’s clone in your OP.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Pravda, Decatur Street, New Orleans, 2008.

Pravda, which was an "early soviet themed" absinthe bar on Decatur St, in the Vieux Carre, just around the corner from the Richelieu Hotel, where I lived while working in NOLA. Pravda had one of the most eclectic clienteles of any bar I ever frequented. I was there almost every night for 2 months. Artists, vinyl bondage fetishists, F&B late nighters off from their restaurant shifts, reactionaries, communists, neo-fascists, academics (me), a general menagerie of friendly and well spoken freaks. $2 PBRs kept the Prols like me happy. On my last night there I tipped the staff out very well. I think it closed within a year.

pravda 1.jpg

7757984220_20db3c6ae0_b.jpg

bartenderandpatrons.jpg
6946635273_fc8b644c75_b.jpg

Cheers,

BSR

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Memories of Times Past . . . in the 21st Century? Listen up, whippersnappers, all my memories of those are from the late 60's. There are no photos or internet connections, wikipedia references (except Henry Africa's!) or, AFAICT, remaining structures. Now that's PAST.

ChrisRS

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
This is a dangerous little game.
Downtown Albany, NY in the 80s. Bands like Blotto, The Tragics, The Sharks.

Places like 288 Lark And QE2, a mixture of NY government worker, business, college student and transvestite.
upload_2019-3-14_14-9-52.jpeg

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
I did find some pix of Henry Africa's. It was the first of the fern bars and for a while, wildly popular. You had to squeeze into the front door and then let the brownian movement of the crowd take you up to the bar to order your drink and then away again to enjoy it.

View attachment 29408
I’d forgotten all about “a brownie in motion.”

;0)

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts