WA

Honors Member
United States
WA
Bellingham
Isn't that time machine supposed to have been invented by now?!

Big T

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA
DuBois
Isn't that time machine supposed to have been invented by now?!
The time machine has always existed in our minds, though what we remember always is better decades later when retold!

Retired EE

Starting Member
United States
Virginia
Arlington
Lüchow's Restaurant (was located near Union Square in Manhattan, NY). As a kid, I lived in Queens, NY for 3 years (1969-1971). One Christmas Eve, dad took us downtown Manhattan to experience the holiday sights and sounds of the city, including going to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, roasted chestnuts from a street vendor, and Macy's window displays (of course). The day culminated with dinner at Lüchow's. Had a wonderful holiday experience there-- they had a very large Christmas tree in the dining area, and it was the first time I had venison. Another remembrance from that time is almost appearing on the "To Tell the Truth Show", as one of the two imposters. I was in the 6th grade and was too chicken to go on. However, our neighbor's daughter went on the show and did convince 2 of the 4 celebrities that she was the real person.

Big T

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA
DuBois
In the late 50's, because our home was close to the church, I, as an altar boy, was assigned to serve mass for all funerals, for our small, rural town, along with surrounding area. Bear in mind, this was a time when at least 1 out of 3 funerals, were held in the home. There were two actual funeral directors, though really not enough business for one. One was for one religious affiliation, the other for another.

This was a dying coal mining area, with some coke burning going on. It was also a time of cross burnings on the main hill overlooking the town, aimed not at races, but at immigrants, even though by this time, they were second generation.

Rememberances are not all good, with some I'd prefer to let sleep.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^I feel your pain...
Lock Haven today is a mere ghost of it's former self. Piper Aircraft is gone, Hammer Mill Paper is no more, The Silk Mill closed...Woolrich Woolen Mill is largely gone and the community of Woolrich must content itself with a Woolrich Company store, but it has become a bedroom community. I guess I could go on, but you are absolutely right...it isn't always a pretty picture!

Cassadine

United States
Pennsylvania
Butler
1383494_567840766603289_110393356_n.jpg

Yankee Stadium--the "old" one. Being a young guy from New Jersey had its perks. Grab a bus -car with friends and in a wink of an eye you were in heaven--if your liked The Pinstripes!

Cassadine

United States
Pennsylvania
Butler
57162fb9a18319050ac6a41c5dbf308e--popular-shoes-shoe-stores.jpg

My first honest sales job as a kid--1979. The place I truly learned how important shoes and clothes were to coming up in the world. At least back then. I took my daughter and some friends on a "teenage" excursion to the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh about a month ago. One of her friends, asked me if I always wore a "suit". It was a sport coat, but... I told her that when I was their age, that white collared professional men "always" did so. Bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. Today, if you go to the symphony (and Pittsburgh has a fine one) you see all manner of slobs. People go to church in shorts etc. I'm 57--I've earned my curmudgeon status.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
Your post reminds me of a store in Lock Haven, PA, Hoy's Store For Men and Boys, which served a similar role in my life. For a surprising number of years they were my go-to men's store! Thanks for this morning's nostalgic moments! ;)

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts