archduke

I diod not quite use those words when hearing of the price of a standard Rubinacci bespoke garment.
I know it is highly regarded but the price was £2300 about 18 months back- and now we are in the middle of a recession! What is going on?

Cavaliere

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
This is an interesting cultural difference between Italians and North Americans (and to some extent the British). I am an Italian who has lived in all three countries and I have found repeatedly, much to my despair, that the concept of "la bella figura" - which runs deep in the Italian psyche and means not only cutting a dash, but presenting oneself at all times in the best possible light - prevents Italians from admitting that they are in trouble. Americans will do whatever is necessary, even if it means selling their possessions, tightening their belts and starting again. The Italians feel that they must maintain appearances. Have you noticed, for example, that Kiton and Attolini never hold sales? They'd rather burn their wares!

misterdonuts

Belgium
ANTWERPEN
ANTWERPEN
Given that the sterling is almost on par with the euro, the price adjustment in the London shop seems not unreasonable. To answer your question, I think what is happening is the F/X market.

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
I diod not quite use those words when hearing of the price of a standard Rubinacci bespoke garment.
I know it is highly regarded but the price was £2300 about 18 months back- and now we are in the middle of a recession! What is going on?
18 months ago £1=€1.5, now £1=€1.1 £2300 was €3450. However, €3450 now is £3140.

Add the cost of inflation for cloth cost, seems a fair price.

In 2006 the starting price of a Maurice Sedwell bespoke suit was about £2.8k now it is £3k (December 2008 price).

Blame the pound not Rubinacci.

Just go to The Row, the only price increase is because of cloth inflation.

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
18 months ago £1=€1.5, now £1=€1.1 £2300 was €3450. However, €3450 now is £3140.

Add the cost of inflation for cloth cost, seems a fair price.

In 2006 the starting price of a Maurice Sedwell bespoke suit was about £2.8k now it is £3k (December 2008 price).

Blame the pound not Rubinacci.

Just go to The Row, the only price increase is because of cloth inflation.
Actually, according to the Maurice Sedwell website, Maurice Sedwell's starting price for a bespoke suit (they only offer full bespoke with no semi bespoke and no ultimate bespoke, FWIW) is now £3.5 or £3.6K (unfortunately, I forget which one of these two prices it is but I know for a fact that it is one of these two prices), not £3K.

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
A lot of the companies on Savile Row do not include vat because most of the business in outside of Britain.

I emailed Andrew last month and he quoted me £3k + vat (which is £3450). It should be £3525 but the vat rate dropped to 15% from 17.5%.

In 2006, Andrew would have been charging £2.8k + vat at 17.5%, £3290.

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
A lot of the companies on Savile Row do not include vat because most of the business in outside of Britain.

I emailed Andrew last month and he quoted me £3k + vat (which is £3450). It should be £3525 but the vat rate dropped to 15% from 17.5%.

In 2006, Andrew would have been charging £2.8k + vat at 17.5%, £3290.
It is like the old saying goes, you learn something new everyday. Thank you, ToryBoy. :)

archduke

I thought Ramroop's suits are supposed to be very well put together; but one of his suits equals one Rubinacci jacket.

Are you really saying SR price hikes are down to cloth?? Where is this cost coming from? Sterling buying less wool? Australian drought having an effect on merino sheep?

Should not decreased inflation kick in somewhere? I know that the sterling situation is bad for buying foreign goods.

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
I thought Ramroop's suits are supposed to be very well put together; but one of his suits equals one Rubinacci jacket.

Are you really saying SR price hikes are down to cloth?? Where is this cost coming from? Sterling buying less wool? Australian drought having an effect on merino sheep?

Should not decreased inflation kick in somewhere? I know that the sterling situation is bad for buying foreign goods.
All of the full bespoke tailored clothing (not just the full bespoke suits) from Ramroop (and from all three branches of Rubinacci) is one of the best on the planet in terms of quality and craftsmanship (particularly the quality and craftsmanship of the following: hand sewing and handmade machine sewing).

Fit, comfort and appearance are all entirely subjective, though (in other words, YMMV in these three areas).

FWIW, all of the full bespoke tailored clothing from Ramroop (and from all three branches of Rubinacci) is 99% hand sewn and 1% handmade machine sewn. It has to be, as all of Oxxford’s OTR, MTO and MTM tailored clothing is 95% hand sewn and 5% handmade machine sewn.

All full bespoke tailored clothing from Ramroop (and from all three branches of Rubinacci-which, BTW, are Naples, Milan and London-actually, Mayfair) is more hand sewn and less handmade machine sewn than all of Oxxford’s OTR, MTO and MTM tailored clothing. So says iammatt, mafoofan and several other vaunted members of AAAC, LL and SF.

Admittedly, these three vaunted members (and the several other vaunted members, of which there are too many to mention in this reply message, I am afraid) of AAAC, LL and SF are by no means, right about everything. However, they are right about most things. To be exact, these vaunted members of AAAC, LL and SF are right about 70-90% of things. Without a doubt, they are absolutely 100% right about this. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Sadly, I know nothing what so ever about any of the other things that you asked about, archduke.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts