Garnett

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Following on from my last thread (about £250 suit suggestions) I'd like the thoughts of the forum members again if possible. I'm after a solid dark blue suit (lighter than navy), three button, single breasted for £450-£500 to get married in.

I spent yesterday looking at suits. I started by keeping an appointment I made before coming on this forum - with Mr Raja Daswani of Raja Fashions.

I was impressed to be honest. Me and my fiancée went to get an idea for the operation. Mr Daswani spent 30 mins with us going through fabric choices and answering our questions without any hard sell.

For £450 it seems I can get a decent wool worsted suit with a couple of shirts.

After the appointment I tried on a few off-the-rack suit jackets and to be honest I think I might struggle to get a good fit. I'm broad and the suits that fit around my middle pinch at the shoulder.

I'm quite tempted to go for Raja (despite all the negative press on here) since it seems they get a fair bit of repeat custom, and for the price I don't know where else to look. Some people have hinted on here that there is viable competition. I'd love some suggestions.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Last edited:

wetnose

WW Chan is visiting London from May 14 to 17. They charge a little above your stated budget but IMO, well worth it, given the many examples of their work. Email them at [email protected] to make an appointment.

Garnett

Thanks for the suggestion Wetnose. That's probably a bit too late for me to order the suit - getting married early July.

Also it looks like they charge about £800 which is a bit too much for me.

robm

After the appointment I tried on a few off-the-rack suit jackets and to be honest I think I might struggle to get a good fit. I'm broad and the suits that fit around my middle pinch at the shoulder.
Off-the-rack doesn't fit most people properly - the idea is to pick one which is a close fit and then get it tailored...so you'd get it to fit your shoulders and then get the waist taken in. If you go somewhere like Slaters, the alterations are included in the price and because they do them "in house" they'll be able to advise on whether they can alter the suit to fit.

£450 for made-to-measure is pretty entry level - this is not necessarily a bad thing (I've been pleased with my entry-level MTM stuff), but in most respects you'll get more for your money if you buy off-the-rack and get it tailored. I'd encourage visiting a suit shop which performs alterations, find a jacket which fits on the shoulders and then ask them if they could make it fit on the waist - if they can, you don't need made-to-measure.

Garnett

Thanks for the reply Robm. That's good information to have. Unfortunately there';s not a Slaters in London (as far as I am aware) but I will have a look for similar operations.

maudac

Starting Member
You could try Suitsupply or Cad & The Dandy - both offer MTM in your price range and are based in London. If you search the forum you'll see some reviews.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts