theriel

England
London
London
Hello,
I have been trying to make use of the sales and buy a suit at Gucci (which are really liked - plain black, slim cut yet still traditional). Unfortunately - only sizes 52-54 are left, whereas I wear 46.

Therefore, I would like to ask you:
Where (which designer, tailor, etc.) can I buy the best suit for the price of around £500 (+/- £100)? It can be either a well-known designer (but I've checked already Armani, Gucci, Zegna - nothing left) or some English tailor, who is also regarded as very good.

Unfortunately, except for the 3 aforementioned, I am not sure who produces good quality suits (e.g. Hugo Boss IMO uses really bad materials, D&G is good if you want to go for a fashion party, not to work).

Thank you for help!

Best regards,
Theriel

Last edited:

Semper Bauhaus

Hello Theriel,

They may not be to your taste, but Ede & Ravenscroft should still have their sale on (RTW suits circa £395 with additional pair of trousers; this can be exceptionally handy), and Gieves and Hawkes also still have a sale (a fair few RTW suits at around the £400 mark plus some at £600 that were circa £1000 pre sale).

Regards,

SB

Last edited:

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
Gieves & Hawkes, Ede & Ravenscroft, Richard James, Hackett, and Chester Barrie. Cordings may have an offer, two suits for £500. Turnbull & Asser at Harrods, could be worth a look but do not know if they have a half-canvas option.

If you want designer:
Ralph Lauren - even at retail they will have something in your budget
Prada - mainline suits are very good quality and may still be made by Belvest
Pal Zileri - looks very similar to Zegna

theriel

England
London
London
Thank you for all your replies!

It seems like Savile Row don't like me - nobody had any RTW black suit in 46 or 48 (UK: 36, 38). Yes, everybody was happy to make me a bespoke one.

Ralph Lauren at Bond Street - one navy suit with terribly bright stripes. Yes, 60% discount, but I prefer to pay more than wear something I don't like.

Ehhh life is tough.

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
Gieves sell 38" suits in S,R and L length.

Worth checking out their Sloane Square store - when I wanted a black suit, the Savile Row store did not have any in my size and headed to SS, which is their second flagship.

Very helpful and good selection of suits, because the store is not as busy as SR. I think the manager's name is Niresh and one of the assistant (Chinese origin) are both very helpful.

caf flow

Starting Member
Have you tried aquascutum store-Regents st?,may be able to purchase a suit and get it altered in store in that price range. Think the sale is still on
Or paul smith

hockeyinsider

Advanced Member
I wish Ede and Ravenscroft would put their RTW suits online for purchase. It's rather frustrating for those of us on this side of the Atlantic.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts