TweedyDon

Connoisseur
United States
NJ
Pennington
I was at an estate sale on Friday, lured by the facts that the house had been in the same family since 1880, they were hoarders, and it was reputedly packed with vintage clothing.

After waiting outside for over an hour--only a few people could enter at a time, as the house was so packed--I headed straight upstairs for the likely stash of menswear. There was a LOT, all from local tailors or well-known trad. clothiers, and a lot was WONDERFUL. (Which is why I'm typing this next to over 12 beautiful jackets and even more pants!) But a lot was... well, it HAD been wonderful, but it had been wrecked, as not every jacket had been hung on proper wooden hangers with flared ends for the shoulders, but on thin plastic hangers designed for shirts.... and this had destroyed the shoulders. Furthermore, a lot of the jackets were CRAMMED into wardrobes, leading to deep, permanent wrinkles--and the complete destruction of satin twill lapels on at least three tuxedos.

So, please, please, PLEASE use proper wooden hangers and space out your clothing! Otherwise, when I come to your estate sales in decades to come I'll be really disappointed in the condition of your wonderful clothes!

Last edited:

drlivingston

Connoisseur
United States
of
America
Well said, Tweedy! People speak volumes about shoe trees and then neglect their equally vulnerable jackets and coats. And don't rely on those crappy hangers that the majority of dry cleaners utilize. My cleaners uses a hard plastic piece that fits over a standard wire hanger that mimics a flared wooden hanger. I wish that all cleaners would use such devices.

Last edited:

Tempest

Honors Member
United States
NJ
Windham Park
Shaped plastic hangers are fine. Shape matters, material not so much. The feared distortion from wire hangers is a constant woe for thrifters.

TweedyDon

Connoisseur
United States
NJ
Pennington
Shaped plastic hangers are fine. Shape matters, material not so much. The feared distortion from wire hangers is a constant woe for thrifters.
I concur! Properly shaped hangers, no matter what the material, are necessary!

Woofa

United States
Texas
Fort Worth
Great point guys and I am guilty of needing to improve in this area. I would love to get some from the Hangar Project but at this point I am still spending most of my money on clothes and shoes and probably will be for another year or two. I understand that you can get some great SC/Suit hangars (like shoetrees) at the Jos Bank sales? If this is true, I need to grab a few dozen. Is there one really amazing sale per year where they go at something like buy one get three free? I know that buy one get two is relatively common. Also, what are some really good but not break the bank hangars for trousers? I have read varied comments that suggest the hang by the cuffs method and others that suggest the fold in half method. Thoughts? Thanks.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
All of my suits, sport coats and coats are on good thick wood hangers with flared ends for proper shoulder support - and I don't "smush" my clothes together in the closet. Since I invest good money in these clothes, I want to take care of them. Hence, TD, when I go to the beyond and if you are a 40L, you'll enjoy my "estate" sale.

That said, since I have never seen a reason to do it and since the dry cleaner hangers take up the least space possible, I leave my shirts and pants on the hangers they come back from the dry cleaners on (except for suit pants which go on the wooden hangers under the suit jacket). But like Woofa, I'm interested to hear if others have thoughts on a better way to do this / if I am hurting them by doing it the way I do?

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Hanger Project is just stupid. There is no need to spend that kind of money. You can get bargains from JAB. And plastic works just fine--it's the shape that counts. If you cannot afford proper hangers, then you should not be buying clothes. It really is that simple. And if you think you will only be spending money on clothes and shoes for a year or two, you are mistaken. It is a lifelong endeavor, so go slow and wait for the right stuff to come along. Don't make the mistake all of us make and buy tons of stuff that you end up never wearing.

Great point guys and I am guilty of needing to improve in this area. I would love to get some from the Hangar Project but at this point I am still spending most of my money on clothes and shoes and probably will be for another year or two. I understand that you can get some great SC/Suit hangars (like shoetrees) at the Jos Bank sales? If this is true, I need to grab a few dozen. Is there one really amazing sale per year where they go at something like buy one get three free? I know that buy one get two is relatively common. Also, what are some really good but not break the bank hangars for trousers? I have read varied comments that suggest the hang by the cuffs method and others that suggest the fold in half method. Thoughts? Thanks.

SlideGuitarist

Advanced Member
United States
VA (Virginia)
Reston
I would love to get some from the Hangar Project but at this point I am still spending most of my money on clothes and shoes and probably will be for another year or two.
I just bought some wooden sport coat hangers, with flared ends, 20" (nice for me) at the Container Store: $12.99, IIRC. Cedar costs a little more. Do it now, Woofa! Seriously, it's kind of satisfying to look in the closet and think, "I'm doing this much right, at least" (esp. since most of my house is disorganized). Ditto for shoe trees. It's not that this thread compelled me to do it. I parked in front of the Container Store in order to shop at the nearby Best Buy, and finally realized, "You know, it's really stupid to abuse nice jackets, even if I bought them on eBay for $45."

Yes, the Container Store, hitherto my wife's favorite store. Don't be hatin'. Even Target might have something to offer here: http://www.target.com/p/deluxe-suit-hanger-non-slip-bar-cherry-2pk/-/A-12963571#prodSlot=medium_1_8&term=hanger+suit

Last edited:

Woofa

United States
Texas
Fort Worth
Okay, well let me throw out a few things because I don't want to give the wrong impression. First off, I have good shoe trees for all of my shoes, this was a priority for me (thanks AAAC) and I was fortunate to get a dozen of the same basic ones that JAB sells at my local Dillards outlet for about $4 a pair. (Still don't have a dozen good pairs of shoes yet.)
Second, I don't want you to think I am hanging my stuff on wire hangars (No wire hangars!!!) and overloading my closet. Currently, I have a conglomeration of thrifted hangars (mostly the nice department store wood ones) but without the thick shoulders. I want to move up to the wide shouldered and have a uniform look in my closet.
I certainly did not mean to suggest that I will no longer be buying clothing in the future (I don't think there is much chance of that,) but that for the moment, as I am still filling out my basic rotation (and trying to do it revenue nuetral with thrifting sales) I don't really want to invest hundreds of dollars on hangars. Plus, I don;t really ever want to spend that kind of money but I do want to get quality for value. Rather what I am looking for is to pick up a dozen (for the nicest pieces I have so far) hangars to lay the hangar foundation of my wardrobe. I also want to get them from a place I know I will be able to add in another dozen every year (just like I assume I willl be adding another two or three shoe trees each year.)
In fact, I was kind of thinking of having my wife get me some for Christmas as a sort of stocking stuffer if we can determine the best time and place to get them.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts