DRWWE

United States
CA
Redding
I would love to get some from the Hangar Project but at this point I am still spending most of my money on clothes and shoes and probably will be for another year or two.
Don't waste your money. JAB has already been mentioned, but seriously look at Bed Bath & Beyond. I have about a dozen very nice suit hangers from BBB and they are wood, look decent, and have nicely shaped shoulders.

Reuben

Honors Member
United States
GA
Athens
The JAB hangers are quite literally the same thing as size large hangers from The Hanger Project. Made in the same factory to the same specifications but with a different style trouser hanger bar and only $15, dipping as low as $5 during the rare buy one, get two sales.

Edit: Wait, did JAB get rid of their super-fancy hangers? Lacquered wood and brass? Well dang . . .

Tipperary

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
All of my jackets/trousers, and most of my shirts, are hung on good wooden hangers. No need to buy anything fancy, just make sure it fits the shoulders.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Honestly, no one, really, needs a dozen pairs of shoes. Nor does anyone, really, need more than, say, four sport coats and three suits. OTOH, you can never have too many shirts or too many pairs of boxer shorts.

Quantity can be an enemy that interferes with quality. If you're like the rest of us, you'll buy a ton of stuff the first couple years you do this, eventually make the Haul Of Shame to the thrift to unload the stuff you bought and never wear and settle in at three or four pieces a year exclusive of socks and underwear.

Okay, well let me throw out a few things because I don't want to give the wrong impression. First off, I have good shoe trees for all of my shoes, this was a priority for me (thanks AAAC) and I was fortunate to get a dozen of the same basic ones that JAB sells at my local Dillards outlet for about $4 a pair. (Still don't have a dozen good pairs of shoes yet.)
Second, I don't want you to think I am hanging my stuff on wire hangars (No wire hangars!!!) and overloading my closet. Currently, I have a conglomeration of thrifted hangars (mostly the nice department store wood ones) but without the thick shoulders. I want to move up to the wide shouldered and have a uniform look in my closet.
I certainly did not mean to suggest that I will no longer be buying clothing in the future (I don't think there is much chance of that,) but that for the moment, as I am still filling out my basic rotation (and trying to do it revenue nuetral with thrifting sales) I don't really want to invest hundreds of dollars on hangars. Plus, I don;t really ever want to spend that kind of money but I do want to get quality for value. Rather what I am looking for is to pick up a dozen (for the nicest pieces I have so far) hangars to lay the hangar foundation of my wardrobe. I also want to get them from a place I know I will be able to add in another dozen every year (just like I assume I willl be adding another two or three shoe trees each year.)
In fact, I was kind of thinking of having my wife get me some for Christmas as a sort of stocking stuffer if we can determine the best time and place to get them.

Reuben

Honors Member
United States
GA
Athens
Honestly, no one, really, needs a dozen pairs of shoes. Nor does anyone, really, need more than, say, four sport coats and three suits. OTOH, you can never have too many shirts or too many pairs of boxer shorts.

Quantity can be an enemy that interferes with quality. If you're like the rest of us, you'll buy a ton of stuff the first couple years you do this, eventually make the Haul Of Shame to the thrift to unload the stuff you bought and never wear and settle in at three or four pieces a year exclusive of socks and underwear.
Blue seersucker, khaki poplin, and creme linen?

meanoldmanning

United States
Ohio
Akron
The JAB hangers are quite literally the same thing as size large hangers from The Hanger Project. Made in the same factory to the same specifications but with a different style trouser hanger bar and only $15, dipping as low as $5 during the rare buy one, get two sales.

Edit: Wait, did JAB get rid of their super-fancy hangers? Lacquered wood and brass? Well dang . . .
Yeah, it looks like they did get rid of them. I may swing by my local store and see if they still have any, but honestly I am pretty satisfied with the rebranded woodlore contoured cedar hangers they sell. Sure my clothes and shoes smell like a hamster cage, but who doesn't love that

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts