Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
If you cannot find, or cannot afford, flared shoulder hangers, WalMart and others sell 3-packs of thicker plastic hangers for around $1.25. Use the whole pack for one garment, the width approximates that of a flared shoulder. Heloise has nothing on me.

Last edited:

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
As others have advised, shaped hangers and the avoidance of cramming are essential practices to maintain the appearance of a jacket.

It is also worth noting that some modern closets may not always be quite deep enough, whilst they can be wide enough to just accommodate the shoulders they can still distort the drape of the sleeves.

g3org3y

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
UK
SE
London
Shaped plastic hangers are fine. Shape matters, material not so much. The feared distortion from wire hangers is a constant woe for thrifters.
Agreed. Mine are plastic and look much like this:

Are there any additional benefits to the wooden ones (such as the deodorising effect of wooden shoe trees)?

As an aside, I don't like wire coat hangers at all, even for my shirts.

Concordia

Advanced Member
United States
Massachusetts
Newton
To me, the biggest advantages to the Hanger Project ones are their range of sizes and the felt trouser bar. Wood, especially when varnished, isn't that big a deal IMO, unless you like the look.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Agreed. Mine are plastic and look much like this:

Are there any additional benefits to the wooden ones (such as the deodorising effect of wooden shoe trees)?

As an aside, I don't like wire coat hangers at all, even for my shirts.
My suits and sport jackets are draped over a combination of wood and plastic hangers, shaped as pictured above. This approach to garment storage has never presented me with any problems! I go with the wood hangers when I can get them for free or at low cost. Otherwise, it's plastic. ;)

Califax

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
MA
Boston
Maybe it's just me but I have as little plastic in my house as is humanly possible. Plastic says cheap throwaway, it says temporary, it says not breakable/not repairable, it says ugly.

I believe in buying fewer, but very high quality, things that will last generations. I have beautiful wooden hangers and love the way they look.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
I'm with Eagle.

Folks are free to buy whatever they wish, but if you're buying expensive matching hangers because you think that they look good in a closet (which in fact might be true) that no one but you or those you wish to show your closet to will ever see, well, I'm not quite sure what to say. To each his own, I guess. I've never shown my closet to house guests, I've never had anyone show their closet to me, and anyone I've ever co-habitated with who would be in a position to see my closet would not be impressed by matching hangers.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Maybe it's just me but I have as little plastic in my house as is humanly possible. Plastic says cheap throwaway, it says temporary, it says not breakable/not repairable, it says ugly. I believe in buying fewer, but very high quality, things that will last generations. I have beautiful wooden hangers and love the way they look.
Congrats.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts