Alden Restoration - BB LHS

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by Southerner, May 20, 2019.

1. Southerner

Southerner Starting Member

United States
    Texas
    Dallas
    After reading all of the Alden restoration reviews, I have decided to send my (recently discontinued) BB LHS loafers in for recrafting. Despite the large number of similar posts, I thought some of you might be interested in seeing some more photos of Alden’s restoration services.

As you can see, the soles are coming apart, heels are well worn, and the shank has emerged from the left sole. There are also fairly noticeable rain spots on the uppers and the stitching has come undone in spots.

Having read the previous reviews, I eagerly anticipate the results and look forward to posting after-photos in a few weeks.

6B5065EF-8D3D-439B-AF17-70B4460ECB8C.jpeg
    6B5065EF-8D3D-439B-AF17-70B4460ECB8C.jpeg 959BFA60-41F7-4B5D-AD15-BBCE840D2EDE.jpeg 04F702D0-C691-4C97-993D-12C885D2B68B.jpeg 37D78FBC-247C-410E-83CC-1683CD323A68.jpeg C721AEDA-D563-4594-A514-0CF67120A639.jpeg 63BBA828-D868-4FE5-8B6C-170E05B93739.jpeg 8EA5E4A8-1FC3-4828-9187-1A2B63539199.jpeg 952D2A46-FDBA-46C7-BB62-DC5394244CF7.jpeg

Corcovado and TimF like this.
  2. Oldsport

Oldsport Senior Member

United States
    New Jersey
    Swedesboro
    How the heck did those shoes get to that condition??

3. fred johnson

fred johnson Senior Member

United States
    ct
    west haven
    What He said!

4. Southerner

Southerner Starting Member

United States
    Texas
    Dallas
    Seven years of wear nearly every other day. Surprisingly, they clean up pretty well still when shined. They took some abuse during foul weather this past weekend so they look particularly bad at the moment.

I wanted to wait until they desperately needed recrafting to give Alden another opportunity for impressive after-photos.

5. DCR

DCR Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    MA
    Boston
    If they restore those, they're wizards.

Cowtown likes this.
  6. TimF

TimF Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    New York City
    They don't look like trees have been in them much, but that's OK. I think some people over-baby their shoes.

For restoration, I would personally pick a dedicated cobbler over a factory like Alden. Reason being that resoling involves some dangerous tools that, if off by a fraction of an inch, could burn the leather to crispy flakes. A factory setting focuses on volume and is unlikely to take extra care over a single shoe.

Dedicated USA cobblers that can do a proper restoration are few and far between, probably no more than five. But they're around, and could do a more careful and potentially better job than Alden.

7. TimF

TimF Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    New York City
    Most of the defects are cosmetic. I bet if you brush, polish, wet the leather, put shoe trees in for 3 nights, they'd look drastically improved. Obviously you'd still have worn down sole and heel.

8. katch

katch Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    New York
    I bet they come back looking like new. The restorations I've seen are remarkable. As far as getting them done at the factory, I believe that's the way to go. They use the exact last that the shoes were made on and will dye the uppers like they do for new hides.

Corcovado likes this.
  9. FLMike

FLMike Connoisseur

United States
    FL
    West Coast
    Any reason you chose not to have them resoled along the way? I’d love the hear the things that the folks at Alden say (or wonder) about you when they unbox those and examine them.

10. Corcovado

Corcovado Senior Member

United States
    KY
    Lexington
    Great thread. Personally I would not have waited so long to restore but on the other hand the before and after pictures will create a dramatic contrast.