Southerner

Starting Member
United States
Texas
Dallas
Frankly I waited to send them off until now because I have been reluctant to part with them for two months. I actually have used trees (most of the time), which may have kept them in functioning condition this long.

As TimF surmised, freshly brushed and shined, they really don’t look bad on my feet. It’s only when you actually inspect them close-up that the flaws become apparent. Once the shank poked through the sole last week I was convinced it’s time.

Sending off today, so I we’ll have to wait and see the results.

9FD7ED88-6F10-404A-8A83-30653973665D.jpeg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^What is Alden's predicted turn around time for restorations these days? I've sent a number of shoes off to Alden in the past for repairs, but waiting six to eight weeks, or longer, to have such work done was a deal breaker for me. :(

Corcovado

United States
KY
Lexington
I have used their services two or three times and it was about 6 to 8 weeks. The first time I got exhausted hoping to get them back any day now! but once I adopted an attitude akin to a watched pot never boils I was more satisfied with the experience.

Califax

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
MA
Boston
The people at Alden are very kind and considerate. When I sent a pair of mine off for the first time, I thought: "I'm not sending my shoes in this bag - they'll get crushed." So, I sent them off in a used Amazon box. A few days later, I received the box back in the mail, empty. So, I called to ask them why they sent the box back - they answered that they thought I might want the box, so just in case, they sent it. Haha, almost too considerate, if that were possible.

United States
California
Santa Monica
Those shoes will come back looking like new except for the loose stitching on the right shoe. I think the fix there will be noticeable.

It's the miracle of shell cordovan leather and Alden.

challer

United States
Virginia
Alexandria
I feel you waited far too long. I would send them to B Nelson myself. In my experience, far superior to Alden recraft.

Southerner

Starting Member
United States
Texas
Dallas
Update: Alden returned the shoes to me with a polite note refusing to repair them. I am now giving B. Nelson an opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.

United States
California
Santa Monica
You should have cleaned the shoes up before you sent them in. It would have made the difference, I bet. There is no damage which a restoration doesn't fix.

However, no one likes to work on abused, neglected shoes.

Last edited:

drlivingston

Connoisseur
United States
of
America
Update: Alden returned the shoes to me with a polite note refusing to repair them. I am now giving B. Nelson an opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.
Just a heads up... I would have never sent them to Alden. Their turnaround time is ridiculous and their work has gone downhill in recent years. If B. Nelson doesn't come through, let me know. There are other service providers that do a great job for less money in less time than Alden.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
I can’t blame them. Those shoes are trashed. Worn hard is one thing. Neglected and not well cared for is another altogether.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts