Alden Shell Tankers - Black or #8?

Alden Shell Tanker Boots - Which shell is more versatile?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sdbinpa

Starting Member
Quick Poll - Alden Shell Tanker Boots - Black or #8?

Which is more versatile?

rabidawg

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
The only color with which you can wear black, but not #8, is black. On the flip side, you can wear #8 with a multitude of colors for which black is not well suited.

joenobody0

United States
Michigan
Ann Arbor
Between Black and #8, I'll take #8 every day. I voted for Cigar though. I think it's the most versatile shell color Alden uses (to my eye Whiskey is the least so, even though I love it).

Coleman

United States
UT
Farminton
My vote's for Cigar also. #8 and Ravello are also very versatile. Black and Whiskey are not so much, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Whiskey.

challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Virginia
Alexandria
I voted for Cigar though. I think it's the most versatile shell color Alden uses (to my eye Whiskey is the least so, even though I love it).
Agreed. Cigar does everything #8 does and then some. I am fortunate to own several ariticles of whiskey - and while it is spectacular to look at, it is least versatile, at least for my wardrobe.

46L

#8 over black everyday and twice on Sunday. I could be talked into Cigar over #8 though.

sdbinpa

Starting Member
Cuff Daddy: I want to be able to dress them up or down. (khakis, jeans and non-suit business pants.)

Ay329

I own this boot in Black calf in the Plaza last.

Big disappointment. The black calf does not take a shine well

The handsewn apron is nicely done a decent looking casual shoe

I found its leather sole to be uncomfortable...see if you can find it on the Crepe Sole

With Cordovan leather, you will pay an almost $200 upcharge, so make sure you really aesthetically like this boot

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but for a bit more money, in brown calf leather, you can immediately buy the G&G Thorpe boot via Bespoke England...just check the Style Forum thread. I own the Thrope boot too on the Dainite Sole and theTG73 last. Much better looking boot. Better quality leather, much nicer handsewn apron.....the best fitting boot I own.

I'm glad I bought both shoes, but if money permits, would advise you to purchase the G&G boot...especially since Bespoke England has it in stock in various sizes for immediate delivery

Personally, I was unimpressed by the Alden Tanker boot, and even more so when I later purchased the G&G Thorpe boot

http://www.gazianogirling.com/thorpedetail.html

http://www.bespoke-england.co.uk/collections/shoes/products/thorpe-in-rustic-grain-leather#shoes

Thorpe boot to the left