Clintotron

United States
Louisiana
Lake Charles
Is Dianne single? Hmmmm. Seriously, though. The words "materials sourcing" didn't sit well with me. I have one pair of AE and no history with those shoes or the company, but they're fantastic quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
The comments from Caleres pertaining to AE's manufacturing ability, and Paul's comments about access to greater materials sourcing, gives me pause.

As a subsidiary to a much larger, and broader based clothing supplier, it would seem AE's corporate philosophy of quality and U.S. production will inevitably be drowned out. From his comments here and in the news, I've always thought Paul regarded AE as more a family owned enterprise despite its corporate owners. As such he has been able to keep it true to its traditions. Will the new CEO, be it Paul or someone else continue to do so? History does not give one hope.

Thankfully I have all the AE shoes and boots I will need or want for my lifetime. I hadn't planned on any future purchases, and am now glad I have oversupplied myself.

Gentlemen who have been sitting on the fence, consider 2017 your year to jump into the pond and have your fill. As for me, I'm glad my Iberian makers are still going strong.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
This was the statement that got my attention:

"We’re also eager to explore their manufacturing resources, as we continue to focus on our ability to increase our speed to market.”

That means expanding production, which means off-shoring more of the production. I realize AE is a proud domestic heritage brand, but I'm over them. I have enough shoes in my rotation that I can look elsewhere at more interesting options. Once you've got the basics covered, AE loses it's relevance.

Peppercorn78

United States
Ny
Brooklyn
It doesn't say whether Mr. G will stay on as CEO. I always considered him the vanguard protecting product quality and customer care.

swils8610

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
East Amherst
To bad. AE is likely become like Florsheim, Hanover and many other long gone but not forgotten quality US manufactures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mreams99

United States
Ohio
Marysville
I'm not happy to hear about a big change for a company that I appreciate. It's a little scary not knowing what changes will be made.

I think that's a key point though -- we don't know what will change. Perhaps it's premature to mourn the loss of this company. Perhaps the changes will be improvements. We just don't know.

I have decided that rather than worry and complain about changes that haven't even happened yet, I will wait to see what happens.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Whenever a company like this is bought and sold, a little piece of it dies. At some point all that's left is the name.