At Law

United States
Nebraska
Omaha
What happened to Allen Edmonds' elegant and high quality black with gold lettering shoe boxes?

I ordered two pairs recently and received them in horrible brown with black script boxes that look like a box that a pair of Kenneth Cole Reaction square toes would arrive in.

Presentation of a product is a very important element to marketing.

I hope this isn't the first step of AE ruining the quality of their products.

smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton
What possible difference could the box make? At this point, the box is probably made better than the crappy shoes. One vote for least consequential complaint of the day.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I have some Christmas ornaments - stored in a shoe box - which I got from my dad. He got it from his dad. SAME shoe box... seventy years old, at least. Intact.

THAT is a shoe box!

(Maybe it's just me, but if there's a single-most-useful box in all the world, it's a shoe box. Okay, it's actually a cigar box, but not being a smoker, shoe boxes get an honorary First Place.)

Details matter.

DH

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
I have to agree with the first guy: packaging tends to express aspiration, and if you don’t have aspirations at least of certain level of quality, you are not likely to achieve much.

smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton
I have to agree with the first guy: packaging tends to express aspiration, and if you don’t have aspirations at least of certain level of quality, you are not likely to achieve much.
I don’t aspire to wear nice shoe boxes. I like to wear nice shoes. Apparently AE now offers neither.

At Law

United States
Nebraska
Omaha
What, do you collect boxes, or something? I honestly couldn't give a damn about the box, since it's not really a display item, I just care about the shoes.
I believe every manufacturer and purchaser of any product in the history of sales and marketing would disagree. The quality and style of packaging is imperative.

Would you buy a new Breitling or Rolex in a brown flimsy cardboard box? You wear a watch and not the box. You don't display your watch in the box--you display it on the winder.

Would you be happy if you purchased a new Brooks Brothers suit and it was packaged in a plastic dry cleaning bag and hanging on a wire hanger?

Would you buy a new BMW 5 Series at a corner car lot in a low income part of town? No. That is why high end auto manufacturers require their dealers to spend millions and millions of dollars on the presentation of their dealerships.

Packaging of any product is of the utmost importance.