JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
United States
California
Long Beach
Would you buy a new BMW 5 Series at a corner car lot in a low income part of town? No. That is why high end auto manufacturers require their dealers to spend millions and millions of dollars on the presentation of their dealerships.

Packaging of any product is of the utmost importance.
One of my oldest and best friends did acquire a rather seedy BMW dealership in a very low income part of Greater LA. He used this as a selling point: "We can beat anybody's deal because we're located in the wholesale district." He has sold a helluva lot of cars and made a great deal of money over the years, but he has had to perform a couple of multimillion dollar upgrades during the same period.

August West

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NJ
Northern
One of my oldest and best friends did acquire a rather seedy BMW dealership in a very low income part of Greater LA. He used this as a selling point: "We can beat anybody's deal because we're located in the wholesale district." He has sold a helluva lot of cars and made a great deal of money over the years, but he has had to perform a couple of multimillion dollar upgrades during the same period.
Not sure what you are saying here. Better deals due to lower overhead "packaging", but millions of dollars then spent to upgrade the "packaging".

At Law

United States
Nebraska
Omaha
Not sure what you are saying here. Better deals due to lower overhead "packaging", but millions of dollars then spent to upgrade the "packaging".
JLibourel was simply referencing my original comparison of an Allen Edmonds shoe box to a new BMW dealership's location and building as well as a reference to LA. I believe this is quite clear.

August West

United States
NJ
Northern
Would you buy a new BMW 5 Series at a corner car lot in a low income part of town? No. That is why high end auto manufacturers require their dealers to spend millions and millions of dollars on the presentation of their dealerships.
This isn't clear to me at all. Seems to initially contradict your point. Then goes in a different direction by saying millions spent renovating the dealership.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
United States
California
Long Beach
^My pal spent millions on upgrades only after he had made many millions in the original, run-down location. His dealership is still located in the "wholesale" district. After about 12 years, he moved his dealership into a much finer location no great distance from his old place. More recently, he has had to make costly upgrades to his dealership to bring it up to BMW spec. I suppose some LA area forumites can figure out who my friend is.

challer

United States
Virginia
Alexandria
That beautiful packaging is very expensive. One of my clients wanted Apple packaging so we went to the company that makes it. At an MOQ of 25,000 units, we were paying $25/unit. You can do better at container store.

drpeter

United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
I agree with @At Law. The reason why packaging is important is that it reflects the mentality behind the manufacturer. Any product worth the price will be packaged in a fitting manner, although once in a while, a fine product may come in a plain package. This is true with all sorts of products, not simply clothes or shoes, as has been pointed out. Consider Apple computers, they come in very nicely designed boxes. Attention paid to the appearance of the package reflects the level of care that went into manufacturing the product.

More generally may I suggest that we do indeed pay attention to appearance in this forum, LOL. After all clothing is the packaging in which humans seem to come -- first impressions and so forth...

At Law

United States
Nebraska
Omaha
I agree with @At Law. The reason why packaging is important is that it reflects the mentality behind the manufacturer. Any product worth the price will be packaged in a fitting manner, although once in a while, a fine product may come in a plain package. This is true with all sorts of products, not simply clothes or shoes, as has been pointed out. Consider Apple computers, they come in very nicely designed boxes. Attention paid to the appearance of the package reflects the level of care that went into manufacturing the product.

More generally may I suggest that we do indeed pay attention to appearance in this forum, LOL. After all clothing is the packaging in which humans seem to come -- first impressions and so forth...
Dr. Peter is a scholar and a fine gentleman. And I'm not just writing that because he agreed with my rambling post regarding marketing and presentation of a product.....Okay, perhaps I am.