Oldsport

United States
New Jersey
Swedesboro
Mine cost $30 via Orvis. Not worth even opening a tin can myself.

Kyle76

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NC
Fayetteville
I recently used New England Reproofers for my Barbour jacket. The service was quick, and the jacket looks great. Much more than $20, but it sounds like a kind of messy, and possibly smelly, job that I don't think my wife would want me doing in our kitchen.

Link here: https://www.newenglandreproofers.com/

RogerP

Connoisseur
Canada
ON
Oakville
I just checked the Barbour website and reproofing is $50 plus $20 for shipping. That's $70, excluding the cost of shipping it to Barbour.
I bought the wax can when I bought my Beaufort three years ago. My wife also has a Barbour that needed wax, both of our jackets have hoods and she has a waxed bucket hat as well. Small items like hoods are $20 a piece to reproof.
It took me about two hours to wax both jackets, both hoods and the bucket hat. It was a bit messy, and made me work up a sweat, but it wasn't technically difficult, especially after viewing a couple of YouTube videos on how to do it. It was definitely worth the approximately $250 I saved by not sending everything in, I didn't have to wait to get the items back, and I still have enough wax left over to at least wax one of the jackets again. I would definitely recommend the OP use the Barbour wax and give it a shot himself.

So less than an hour to wax a single jacket, no hood? Pretty sure I can put up with that to save the down time and expense of having Barbour do it for me. Heck, I could easily spend half an hour in line at the post office at this time of year just to ship a package.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
So less than an hour to wax a single jacket, no hood? Pretty sure I can put up with that to save the down time and expense of having Barbour do it for me. Heck, I could easily spend half an hour in line at the post office at this time of year just to ship a package.
To do it right, after setting up a work area, takes a good hour. Applying an even coat and allowing for adequate absorption is important to the proper proofing of ones coat.

A rush job could result in a waxy mess in the house and uneven proofing.

Cheers,

BSR

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
To do it right, after setting up a work area, takes a good hour. Applying an even coat and allowing for adequate absorption is important to the proper proofing of ones coat.

A rush job could result in a waxy mess in the house and uneven proofing.

Cheers,

BSR
Largely due to the nose of the heated wax and SWMBO's stated aversion to same, the last time I rewaxed mine, the work site of choice or perhaps by direction (take your choice) was the patio behind our house! LOL. ;)

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts