Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hello,

I was wondering if there were any alternatives out there to the Baracuta G9 for those looking to spend less money? I would like to find something that doesn't require international shipping (I live in the USA) and preferably in the stone/cream color.

Edit: Also it would need to have the red tartan lining

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^LOL. I've purchased several Baracuta G9's over the years and two (a khaki and a navy hued G9's) presently share space in my closet along with a couple of knock-off's (a London Fog and an Orvis Weather breaker). The Baracuta G9's seem to have a more durable finish to them, not showing the same degree of overall wear and tear that the London Fog has shown or the deterioration of the fabric finish that the Orvis has shown. I've never paid close to $400 for a Baracuta G9. The first I purchased cost me $165, as I recall and the last two were $265 and $285, respectively (as I recall). I've never been disappointed buying "the real deal," but frankly, I also can't complain about the service I've enjoyed with the London Fog, The Orvis, or with several McGregor jackets I owned earlier in my life. All have represented pretty reasonable vale in my opinion. ;)

SG_67

Connoisseur
https://www.stuartslondon.com/coats...al-harrington-jacket-natural-brcps0001-p9432#

Take advantage of the exchange rate and order from the UK. When I clicked on here I immediately saw a 10% off offer (not sure what to do to make it apply).

While not cheap, it's certainly cheaper than one domestically purchased. I don't know about shipping and if there are any customs charges, but worth looking into if you want the real deal.

Otherwise, check out eBay but beware of fakes.

^^LOL. I've purchased several Baracuta G9's over the years and two (a khaki and a navy hued G9's) presently share space in my closet along with a couple of knock-off's (a London Fog and an Orvis Weather breaker). The Baracuta G9's seem to have a more durable finish to them, not showing the same degree of overall wear and tear that the London Fog has shown or the deterioration of the fabric finish that the Orvis has shown. I've never paid close to $400 for a Baracuta G9. The first I purchased cost me $165, as I recall and the last two were $265 and $285, respectively (as I recall). I've never been disappointed buying "the real deal," but frankly, I also can't complain about the service I've enjoyed with the London Fog, The Orvis, or with several McGregor jackets I owned earlier in my life. All have represented pretty reasonable vale in my opinion. ;)
What's the best place to purchase from if I do decide to go with the original?

https://www.stuartslondon.com/coats...al-harrington-jacket-natural-brcps0001-p9432#

Take advantage of the exchange rate and order from the UK. When I clicked on here I immediately saw a 10% off offer (not sure what to do to make it apply).

While not cheap, it's certainly cheaper than one domestically purchased. I don't know about shipping and if there are any customs charges, but worth looking into if you want the real deal.

Otherwise, check out eBay but beware of fakes.
I'm not sure what you mean, $275 pound sterling equals 395 USD (according to google) + international shipping and more difficult returns would make it a more expensive purchase than just about anything domestically purchased, unless I'm missing something.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Were I in your shoes, I would follow the purchasing advice offered by SG 67, in post #6. Existing exchange rates are going to allow you the best financial deal possible these days. The last G9 I purchased from a US source was purchased from O'Connell's and that was several years back. Good luck in this quest, 7055! :thumbs-up:

SG_67

Connoisseur
I'm not sure what you mean, $275 pound sterling equals 395 USD (according to google) + international shipping and more difficult returns would make it a more expensive purchase than just about anything domestically purchased, unless I'm missing something.
On the top right hand of the website I linked, you can switch currency. Change it to USD and see what comes up.

I don't know what shipping would be so look into it. Also, if you know your size, returns shouldn't be a problem.

Or buy the Orivs Weatherbreaker and only about 10 people on the planet will know the difference. ;)
It doesn't have the tartan lining on the inside edges near the zipper, part of what makes the G9 stylish when unzipped in my opinion.

jackmccullough

Honors Member
I've got the same one in navy and I like it. It was a high price in my view, but I was exchanging a gift that couldn't be made to fit so it wasn't too much out of pocket.

I own this jacket from Orvis. As to how it compares with the Baracuta G9, I can't say, having never owned one. I bought the Weatherbreaker on sale with an additional coupon I'd gotten in the mail. Maybe $125 delivered. It's not what I'd consider a $170 jacket anymore than a Baracuta being a $400 jacket.

http://www.orvis.com/p/weatherbreaker-jacket/1z5b

View attachment 15887

SG_67

Connoisseur
Why's that?
You want basically a duplicate of the Baracuta without the price tag. several alternatives have been pointed out but all come up short.

Save your pennies and get the real thing. Otherwise you won't be happy. Just an observation. Good luck.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.