Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
⇧ If I didn't work from home and have way too many business clothes sitting unused in my closet already, Vass would be the shoe company I'd explore next as the quality, style and price all seem impressive.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
⇧ If I didn't work from home and have way too many business clothes sitting unused in my closet already, Vass would be the shoe company I'd explore next as the quality, style and price all seem impressive.
I think the details of the workmanship of the best work of Japanese makers surpasses what Vass makes. But in practical terms, we're perhaps talking about the difference between a 9.3 and 9.8 if we were to assign a 10 point grading system. And while many of the finest Japanese shoes are certainly very beautiful, I suspect Vass' slightly more robust aesthetic might marry better with my own.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I think the details of the workmanship of the best work of Japanese makers surpasses what Vass makes. But in practical terms, we're perhaps talking about the difference between a 9.3 and 9.8 were we to assign a 10 point grading system. And while many of the finest Japanese shoes are certainly very beautiful, I suspect Vass' slightly more robust aesthetic might marry better with my own.
I agree completely and was trying to convey, but didn't do a good job, that Vass looks like a quality-style-price point trade-off I'd be much more comfortable with than the better-made but much-more-expensive Japanese shoes.

As with stereos back in the '80s, I was fine with the mid-priced brands as the marginal improvement over that - which cost exponentially more than going from low- to mid-priced brands - was not worth it for me as my ear would hardly notice the difference and I simply didn't want to spend that much on stereo equipment.

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
I agree completely and was trying to convey, but didn't do a good job, that Vass looks like a quality-style-price point trade-off I'd be much more comfortable with than the better-made but much-more-expensive Japanese shoes.

As with stereos back in the '80s, I was fine with the mid-priced brands as the marginal improvement over that - which cost exponentially more than going from low- to mid-priced brands - was not worth it for me as my ear would hardly notice the difference and I simply didn't want to spend that much on stereo equipment.
Without a properly designed and constructed listening room the extra money was wasted as even experts were hard-pressed to tell the difference between something competent like Denon versus McIntosh's extremely expensive gear.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Without a properly designed and constructed listening room the extra money was wasted as even experts were hard-pressed to tell the difference between something competent like Denon versus McIntosh's extremely expensive gear.
Very funny, as I owned a Denon receiver in the '80s. And it was above the Denon level where my ear stopped hearing any meaningful difference in sound; hence, that's the level I was willing to pay up for and not any more.

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
Very funny, as I owned a Denon receiver in the '80s. And it was above the Denon level where my ear stopped hearing any meaningful difference in sound; hence, that's the level I was willing to pay up for and not any more.
I still have my KEF C60s from the 80s and they still sound great.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts