American Trad men (photos)...

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by Doctor Damage, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Fogey

Fogey Advanced Member

In my mind, I've always associated Gregory Peck in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' as a cardinal example of the best of American Trad - not just in dress, but in demeanour and virtue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Russell Street

Russell Street Senior Member

I especially like the length of his trousers -

All my life I've found that what looks good standing still often looks just too short when walking. But not here.

Russell

3. Harris

Harris Advanced Member

Check out the blonde tortoise shell p-3 (Liberty/Full-View/Fulvue) shaped frames that Peck is sporting. Sharp!

-Harris

4. Russell Street

I love that 'Southern' Trad look, I only wish it suited the English weather better...

For a long time I was torn between the New England manifestation of Trad. and that gentlemanly Southern look...
    I picked Brooks/Press/Bean because I lived in weather that suited the look.

Maybe I should have just moved house instead?

To live in seersucker and madras wouldn't be such a hardship!

Russell

5. Harris

Harris Advanced Member

Russell, don't fret. That Peck/Finch look is as "Yankee" as it "Southern." In fact, here's a guess I'll wager: while you see (relatively) quite a bit of that particular style of frame around NYC and in New England, you probably see little of it below the Mason Dixon. Can't be sure. Just a guess.

As for the seersucker and/or pincord: again, not necessarily "Southern." In fact, I believe I'm correct that Brooks brought seersucker to the U.S. So, it could be as much a "New York" thing as a "Southern" thing. Both Southerners and Yankees can agree that it's an "East Coast" thing.

But then you have to consider that one of the better trad shops is located in San Francisco. Now I'm really confused.

-Harris

6. shuman

shuman Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Why do you suppose this about those frames? Notice more wire rims down south? Guess it would have to be that certain wire rim...

7. Fogey

Fogey Advanced Member

Yes, and how he dispassionately removes them and wipes them off when spat upon by the yokel, instead of pulling out a revolver and shooting him. He was a gentleman.

[​IMG]

8. Russell Street

Harris -

Really interesting - Thank you.

On this side of the Atlantic our ideas of Northern & Southern Trad. must seem cartoon-ish to you.

Probably I'm safe in saying that most ordinary English men who like American clothes (and who have access to London) got their education in these matters from the shops of John Simons from 1965 to date.

So a London boy dressed like an American will always look like a London boy dresed like an American. We'll never really get that... polish of the originals!

Fun trying, though...

Russell

9. Chris H

Chris H Active Member with Corp. Privileges

UK
    herts
    Watford
    Hello Russell,

As fellow Londoner with a fascination for traditional American clothes your posts strike a chord with me. I wondered if you ever shopped at Austins in Shaftesbury Avenue? I understand John Simon worked there in the late 1950s, well before starting the Ivy shop.

Regards
    Chris

10. Russell Street

Hi there Chris -

(I've enjoyed your posts in the past very much - thank you for them.)

I'm getting on now but sadly I'm not old enough to have shopped at Austins, David's, Clothesville etc.
    My knowledge of American clothes starts up on Richmond Hill in the '70's.

I never knew Mr.S. had worked at Austins. Cecil Gee & Burberry yes, but not Austins. Interesting.

I always knew Ian at the Ivy (circa '87 and before) as Ian Roberts, someone told me recently that he was actually called Ian Strachan (or something similar) and had 'retired' to the Forest of Dean. Not that it matters, but what do you know about that? He was a very nice man.

Good to hear from you. I believe Arrow were the shirts at Austins way back when. Is that correct?

Where does the 'Village Gate' chain of shops fit into Mr.S.'s story? It would have been in the '70's too. Do you know? I was in the V&A a while back and they had a V.G. overcoat (I think) as part of one of their displays. A dark green tweedy check, I think. Anyway...

Just curious.

Best Wishes,

Russell

(Obviously You'll get the joke of my name)