Mr. Knightly

quote:Originally posted by Russell Street
We'll never really get that... polish of the originals!

Fun trying, though...

Russell
In the case of trad, "polish" might actually be defined as a lack of polish.

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

mpcsb

Inactive User
quote:Originally posted by Mr. Knightly

We'll never really get that... polish of the originals!

Fun trying, though...

Russell
In the case of trad, "polish" might actually be defined as a lack of polish.

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man.
And often not ironed :D

Russell Street

The whole 'not polished & not ironed' thing is a really good point - I have to work hard not to over-iron my BDs or shine up my loafers too often.
It's an odd thing... working hard to make the look appear casual.
And I'm sure I still get it wrong and look too neat.
You either love these clothes or you don't. And if you do then looking after them too well is a big temptation.

Russell

mpcsb

Inactive User

The whole 'not polished & not ironed' thing is a really good point - I have to work hard not to over-iron my BDs or shine up my loafers too often.
It's an odd thing... working hard to make the look appear casual.
And I'm sure I still get it wrong and look too neat.
You either love these clothes or you don't. And if you do then looking after them too well is a big temptation.

Russell
Russell,
Don't forget frayed, collars and cuffs on OCBD, boxers, cuffs and pockets on khakis, the worn edges of corduroy. There is no such thing as a worn out sock, as socks are seldom worn - LOL

Russell Street

Sorry I forget that we're doing topics here. (I'm new to all this)

Wonderfully lived-in faces those Kennedys sport...

An important part of 'the look', I think, once you reach a certain age.

Russell

Wimsey

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by Harris

Russell, don't fret. That Peck/Finch look is as "Yankee" as it "Southern." In fact, here's a guess I'll wager: while you see (relatively) quite a bit of that particular style of frame around NYC and in New England, you probably see little of it below the Mason Dixon. Can't be sure. Just a guess.

As for the seersucker and/or pincord: again, not necessarily "Southern." In fact, I believe I'm correct that Brooks brought seersucker to the U.S. So, it could be as much a "New York" thing as a "Southern" thing. Both Southerners and Yankees can agree that it's an "East Coast" thing.

But then you have to consider that one of the better trad shops is located in San Francisco. Now I'm really confused.

-Harris
I think Peck looks more Yankee than southern in that picture. Remember, this is not a photo of an actual person; this is a photo of Hollywood in 1962 dressing a man to look like a southerner in 1932 *but* trying to make him look good *and* enlightened *and* smart.

So they gave him contemporary (for the time) frames, which have "New England" written all over them, and which also say "intellectual", a white suit (which does suggest the south), and a vest plus pocketwatch, which suggests "old fashioned gentleman". (I do have to wonder how many men in non-airconditioned southern alabama actually wore vests in the 30's, particularly when they were in crowded and presumably very hot courtrooms.)

I do think that Atticus looked great in the movie, but I don't think he's a good example of "southern trad" (whatever that is).

(For people who have seen the movie, there is an earlier scene where the judge comes and asks Atticus to defend Tom Robinson. The judge is wearing a baggy white suit, *I think* poplin or linen, very wrinkled, very loose fitting - this is probably accurate for that time, place, and season. Unfortunately, to modern eyes it looks sort of ... slovenly.)

I'll disgree that seersucker is an east coast thing - when I was growing up (and before), it was very common in Kentucky, which is not at all on the east coast. I suspect it was also pretty common in TN, MS, and AL, although I'm not certain of that. Maybe it's an east coast and southeastern thing...

Tomasso

Advanced Member
Wally Cox (Trad must run in the Cox family), actor and comedian.

Wally was known to be quite the ladies man.

Wally and Marlon Brando were lifelong best friends since nine years of age.

Wally died young(heart attack at 48) and Marlon took it hard, never getting over it. He carried Wally's ashes with him, wherever he went, for the rest of his life.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts