Chris H

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
UK
herts
Watford
quote:Originally posted by Russell Street

Hi there Chris -

(I've enjoyed your posts in the past very much - thank you for them.)

I'm getting on now but sadly I'm not old enough to have shopped at Austins, David's, Clothesville etc.
My knowledge of American clothes starts up on Richmond Hill in the '70's.

I never knew Mr.S. had worked at Austins. Cecil Gee & Burberry yes, but not Austins. Interesting.

I always knew Ian at the Ivy (circa '87 and before) as Ian Roberts, someone told me recently that he was actually called Ian Strachan (or something similar) and had 'retired' to the Forest of Dean. Not that it matters, but what do you know about that? He was a very nice man.

Good to hear from you. I believe Arrow were the shirts at Austins way back when. Is that correct?

Where does the 'Village Gate' chain of shops fit into Mr.S.'s story? It would have been in the '70's too. Do you know? I was in the V&A a while back and they had a V.G. overcoat (I think) as part of one of their displays. A dark green tweedy check, I think. Anyway...

Just curious.

Best Wishes,

Russell

(Obviously You'll get the joke of my name)
Hi Russell,

I was told that John worked as a window dresser at Austins, I have not checked this out with the man himself, so it might be mixed up with Cecil Gee which was only a few doors away. As I suspect you probably know, Austins was very popular with young musicians back then. I believe Georgie Fame, Charlie Watts, Andrew Loog Oldham and Eric Clapton were all customers in the early 1960s.

I first shopped at Austins in 1964, it was quite a lot more expensive than Cecil Gee but, you were getting the real US-made deal. Among the BDs sold I remember Gant, Arrow and (I think) Sero. I bought a couple of the Arrow roll-collar BDs. These shirts had flexible stiffeners in the collar which could be used to adjust the roll. I also bought two madras jackets from Austin around this time.

My first purchases from John Simon were made at the Squire Shop, Brewer Street in the late 1968. Over the next couple of years I bought striped oxford cloth BDs, shetland crew-necks, Baracuta G9 and sta-press Levis from both the Squire Shop and also Village Gate which opened a year or two later in Old Compton Street. In the early 1970s another Squire shop opened in the King's Road. This shop sold mainly the tight fitting two-button, three piece French-style suits, flared trousers, ultra slim-fit silk shirts and other clothing that was popular at that time.

This is really bringing back some memories.

Regards
Chris

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Some photos of GHWB, from school and earlier political days (pre-Vice President). In the group shot, GHWB is just to the left of the clock.

Jean-Francois

Starting Member
Why do they wear their sleeves so long (not showing any shirt)? Is it intentional?

And it seems that all of them wear uncuffed plain-front pants. Do the pants have to be uncuffed?

Horace

quote:Originally posted by manton

quote:Originally posted by Horace

The Bones picture is creepy...
Isn't the penalty for leaking pictures from that place, like, death? Or something?
I don't remember -- it's something gruesome I think. I remember reading a book on it pub'd in the early 80's by a fellow at the Hoover Institute of all places.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts