owlish

Starting Member
United States
ILLINOIS
Vernon Hills
Hi Gents, trying to reconcile the "anything goes" mindset when it comes to merging a patterned tie on a patterned shirt under a patterned suit or sport coat. And I'm not talking subtle patterns that blend well and are scaled properly; rather, putting bold, thick stripes against finely-latticed checks against more stripes (or any combination thereof). Seeing more and more of this in menswear publications and on the displays in the windows of finer men's shops. Seems to me there's a fine line between blending disparate patterns aesthetically and splashing one busy pattern on top of another and calling it avant-garde dressing.
What's your personal philosophy when it comes to stacking pattern on pattern on pattern?
What is acceptable and what is one big clashfest?

smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton
It’s a fine art...very few of us are Dr. Churchwells, and even he generally limits himself to two bold patterns.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
When it's done brilliantly, it can be magical. When it's done poorly, it's awful. And it's a lot easier to do poorly.

The ideal is a melange of pleasing harmonies that keeps the eye dancing over the ensemble. Contrast, booth harmonies and dissonances, occur not only in pattern (Shape) , but also in texture and color, and in the intensity of each. It's possible to cause a weak dissonance in one dimension, that's made moot by a strong harmony in another, creating an over all pleasing harmony.

Some patterns tend to have a natural affinity that can be pretty easily modulated through intensity such as a small, discreet check shirt, and a larger more vivid plaid tie. Or a larger scale but muted black and white glen plaid flannel suit, and a bolder striped shirt.

Last edited:

owlish

Starting Member
United States
ILLINOIS
Vernon Hills
When it's done brilliantly, it can be magical. When it's done poorly, it's awful. And it's a lot easier to do poorly.

The ideal is a melange of pleasing harmonies that keeps the eye dancing over the ensemble. Contrast, booth harmonies and dissonances occur not only in pattern (Shape) , but also in texture and color, and in the intensity of each. It's possible to cause a weak dissonance in one dimension, that's made moot by a strong harmony in another, creating an over all pleasing harmony.

Some patterns tend to have a natural affinity that can be pretty easily modulated through intensity such as a small, discreet check shirt, and a larger more vivid plaid tie. Or a larger scale but muted black and white glen plaid flannel suit, and a bolder striped shirt.
Wow, Flanderian, superb use of language to drive home your points! I agree with you that if the eye and the brain have to work too hard on individual pieces of an ensemble and cannot process the gestalt look, it's a problem. Stripe-on-stripe is pretty commonplace these days -- i.e., more men are favoring the look -- with check-on-check moving up in popularity. Stripe-on-check? Much more challenging to find looks that don't cause dissonance. As for me, I have to go with a solid something (two-out-of-the-three). Maybe I need to embolden myself?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Wow, Flanderian, superb use of language to drive home your points! I agree with you that if the eye and the brain have to work too hard on individual pieces of an ensemble and cannot process the gestalt look, it's a problem. Stripe-on-stripe is pretty commonplace these days -- i.e., more men are favoring the look -- with check-on-check moving up in popularity. Stripe-on-check? Much more challenging to find looks that don't cause dissonance. As for me, I have to go with a solid something (two-out-of-the-three). Maybe I need to embolden myself?
Thank you!

I rarely complicate what I'm wearing to the 2nd or 3rd degree. Usually just one dominant, pattern, color, etc. in an ensemble. My objective is relaxed elegance. (Or maybe it's lazy slovenliness! ;) ) But not everyone is playing the same game. Dress is a language, and thankfully, we all have something different to say. And more often I'd rather fail at being interesting, than succeed at being dull. But rich, not gaudy.

These young Asian men dress in a manner I couldn't and wouldn't. But among some blatant travesties, and the frequent cliche, there's also often art. And I admire their eye and their daring!

https://maidoookini.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F187621559538

1568389460803.png

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts